From 1 to 6...in one day!

mrsdee

Songster
Apr 25, 2017
Lawrenceburg, KY
So. I've only been getting one egg a day for about a month now. The only bird I had that was laying was my White Leghorn, Pearl. Personally, I think even she started late for her breed (POL 21 weeks). My BCM, Penny, has been molting and not laying. The rest of my flock are all about the same age give or take a couple weeks. They all will be about 26 weeks so I've been sitting on my hands waiting. And all of a sudden we find 7 eggs between 2 nest boxes (thank God they laid there) yesterday! I'm thinking that my pairs of Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rocks, and Salmon Faverolles are the ones who laid, along with my normal WL egg.

What blows me away is that they all just decided that yesterday was the right day! I've heard of pullets all coming into lay withing a week or two of each other but not 6 different pullets all laying their first egg on the same day! From those who have more experience, is this common? I have 3 more pullets who have yet to lay (they're a little younger) but I would expect that from EEs.

And I've noticed that the eggs are all a little lighter than I would expect. But being their first eggs, will color change/darken as time goes on?

Back
Top Bottom