From chick crumbs to layers pellets !

I found that my hens do not favor pellets either. Does the layer mixture that you are using also come in crumbles? Here we can get purina in either crumbles or pellets. I did buy a small 5 lb bag of pellets, and I mixed them in with the crumbles - but they leave the pellets! I think some of them are too long - If I break pellets smaller, and hand feed them, they will eat it, spoiled brats! Even though I'd like to switch to pellets, I think I'm going to have to stay with crumbles. My girls are too picky - - -

Quote:
Thank you for your reply and I apolagise for my sharp reaction, . The answer to your question ,:who recomended that: is Scats feed suplies . Please look at my downloads , if that is possible and there is a picture of the bag with instructions ! I have since done some more research and you are correct in advising a lower calcium loaded feed such as a grower pellet or mash !

My chicks are of mixed ages ranging from 6weeks to twelve weeks . I have reported my concerns to Scats my feed suppliers and they are looking in to relabeling the bags with the correct advice ! I am mixing the new batch of GROWER pellets with the remaining bag of chick crumbs for the transition mixed with a little water . All should be fine from here on in ! thanks all for your comments ! John Chicken GB

Quote:
I reckon that we are too soft . If we put the pellets down with nothing else around to distract and went ouy for the day all the pellets would be gone ! lol

Quote:
Ditto! Mine would rather starve than eat those large pellets. I give mine a 20% Allway blend and they lay extremely well on it. Of course, I think as much gets on the ground as in their tummies!

Quote:
Thank you for your reply and I apolagise for my sharp reaction, . The answer to your question ,:who recomended that: is Scats feed suplies . Please look at my downloads , if that is possible and there is a picture of the bag with instructions ! I have since done some more research and you are correct in advising a lower calcium loaded feed such as a grower pellet or mash !

Where would I find your downloads? I looked on your page and there is nothing there.

Quote:
Ditto! Mine would rather starve than eat those large pellets. I give mine a 20% Allway blend and they lay extremely well on it. Of course, I think as much gets on the ground as in their tummies!

They may not take to pellets right away but will in a day or two. You'll have much less waste with pellets and your chickens WILL eat them, they won't let themselves starve. They might be stubborn but they're not as stupid as many people think. I went from a lot of waste to zero waste with the feeder I built. You can see it on my page.

My last flock didn't care for pellets either, but the current flock doesn't seem to care one way or the other. What I came up with before was spread out a thin layer of pellets on a board or tray and leave out over night to collect the dew that falls (probably will not work if you live in an arid region). Leave the to dry the next day. After that they are more crumbly and the chooks liked them better. May take more than one dew fall if it is very light. Just be sure they dry completely before storing them again or they might get moldy. Which is why I only did a few days worth at a time.

I personally wouldn't feed layer feed to chicks but perhaps its different where you are. You can try crushing the pellets (not sure if this has been mentioned already or not) and making them more like the crumbles they are used to. Then slowly introduce the larger pellets.

Quote:

Where would I find your downloads? I looked on your page and there is nothing there.

Not sure how you find them but they are there somewhere , is there another page that you can click on to ?

I tried to switch to the pellet form of the grower when my chicks were 12 weeks or so. I found they couldn't swallow the whole pellet, and didn't quite have the ability to crush it in their beak yet. I ended up mixing in a little water for a while to soften the pellets so they could eat smaller pieces. After a few weeks, maybe closer to 16 weeks, they could eat the whole pellet.

Back
Top Bottom