From chicks to hens…personalities remain true?

ksato003

Songster
Jun 5, 2021
I’m curious if the personalities of your chicks remained true as they grew to adult hens. Or if they did like a 180 at POL or afterwards.

For example, did your friendliest chick grow up to be a lap hen, did the flightiest chick remain flighty as an adult, did the quietest or loudest chick in the group (besides the roos) grow up to be the same?

This assumes they are treated the same from day one (for example, held or not held, no traumatic event that would alter their personality etc…lol.)

Guess I’m just hoping my cuddly chick will be a lap hen when she’s grown, hehe. Looking forward to hearing some chick-to-hen stories!

Our very outgoing chick who would jump out of the brooder as soon as the door was opened, now as a hen will jump on my back if I am crouched down (which makes taking photos fun). I don't encourage this as she's a big girl and wants to be on my shoulder, and unless the kids are there it's really difficult to get her off! But she's super friendly and does like to have a cuddle if you have the time.

Most of ours, having been handled a lot as chicks, are very docile and easy to handle as adults. Cockerels are another story and do start to be more stand-off-ish as they get older, although we have one at the moment who is sweet as pudding, so there's always the odd one that bucks the trend. His sister is the sweetest little pullet too.

Pullets do go through a flighty stage as teenagers (how extreme can vary from bird to bird) but they settle down again once they start to lay.

I'd say your cuddly chick will grow up to be a cuddly hen, just don't panic if she goes through a flighty stage as a teen.

Our very outgoing chick who would jump out of the brooder as soon as the door was opened, now as a hen will jump on my back if I am crouched down (which makes taking photos fun). I don't encourage this as she's a big girl and wants to be on my shoulder, and unless the kids are there it's really difficult to get her off! But she's super friendly and does like to have a cuddle if you have the time.

Most of ours, having been handled a lot as chicks, are very docile and easy to handle as adults. Cockerels are another story and do start to be more stand-off-ish as they get older, although we have one at the moment who is sweet as pudding, so there's always the odd one that bucks the trend. His sister is the sweetest little pullet too.

Pullets do go through a flighty stage as teenagers (how extreme can vary from bird to bird) but they settle down again once they start to lay.

I'd say your cuddly chick will grow up to be a cuddly hen, just don't panic if she goes through a flighty stage as a teen.
Cool! And good to know. Thanks for sharing your experience!

My Wyandotte started out as a lap chicken in her teens, but now since she top hen and older she won't let me pet her or get on my lap. My other girls are OK, I can pick them up during the day and pet them. I can also do the same with my rooster.

My Wyandotte started out as a lap chicken in her teens, but now since she top hen and older she won't let me pet her or get on my lap. My other girls are OK, I can pick them up during the day and pet them. I can also do the same with my rooster.
Interesting!! She really is the boss lol

Back
Top Bottom