From egg turner to carton ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JimnJanet, Apr 21, 2008.

1. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    I'm approaching day 21 for my pheasant eggs on the 25th. 4 DAYS !!!WOOOHOOOOO [​IMG]
    You chicken folk, no wait, i'm one now too [​IMG], anywho, all you fellow ADDICTS have told me to remove the turner when it comes time for hatchin to begin. My question. Paper or styrofoam ? and if styrofoam, should i clean and sterilize the styrofoam carton before i use it and if so..how? I also jiiist happen to catch in someones pics that they had cut holes in the bottom of the holes in the carton, is this neccesary and if so, why ?
    thanx Jim

geesh, i can't believe that allmost 3 weeks have passed allready since i got my eggs... [​IMG]

2. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    You want to cut the bottom of the cartons for air and circulation for the chicks. I would go with paper if you have them versus stryoform, just my preference.

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    You do know pheasant eggs take 24-25 days, right? Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

4. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    thanx equine chick
    yes Jody, i do know that. I was told to remove turner on day 21 and raise the humids

5. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    You don't actually need the egg carton at all.

Whatever some sensitive folk might think, there is no evidence whatsoever that your eggs will come to any harm just hatching loose in an open tray. This is the way it has been done for generations, and is the way it is done in large hatcheries.

Indeed, there are suggestions that some eggs find hatching difficult in egg cartons.

I am all for inovation, but there is a great danger if the latest *good idea* starts to become the *conventional wisdom*.

Whatever .... good luck with your hatch.

6. JimnJanet

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Makes a lot o' sense to me Steve/Jodie(?). I was thinkin that it would also be less work for the chick if the eggs was layin naturaly on its side instead of bein held in position in a carton.
    I am all for natural selection.

7. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I just have to say your quote brings tears to my eyes! I totally agree!!! Thanks for posting it. I wish I would have thought of it! God bless you!

8. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Quote:It would be interesting to see some sort of statistics on the two methods-though there are so many other factors, it would be difficult to know what really effected the results!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by