from food to poo

Ole rooster

Songster
8 Years
Jun 25, 2011
Milner, Georgia
Does anybody know the time span from food in to poo out? Just wondering how the birds poop so much at night. Eight birds leave me almost a pound and a half every morning.

Quote:
sickbyc.gif
sickbyc.gif
eeeew. LOL

Wow do you weigh it? And is that wet or dry poo? I clean out mine about every two weeks with six birds so 14 days I don't think there is more than a few pounds. LOL never thought to weigh it. It does up the temp in my compost tumbler a bunch. It will steam a few days after adding the poo.

According to "Raising Chickens for Dummies" (a useful book with an embarrassing title) - it takes 2.5 hours.

HAHA!!! That's a great question and one I just asked myself yesterday! I noticed that there was very little poop in the chicken pen but there was a ton under the roosts. That makes sense, because I had been getting them back into the pen from ranging in the yard using the scraps from supper which is their favorite. I also give them a few handsful of BOSS and a little scratch. I think I will be changing up the routine a little and giving them the scraps in the morning. Thanks for putting this out there for the experts.

Acually I don't weigh it but I do have a pretty good sense of weight. But now I will admit there is a bit of sand from the coop. I would say about 15 grams so its not all poop.

Back
Top Bottom