From Nice to Mean Roosters...

CountryMama2013

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
North Carolina
I have a few roosters (with their hens obviously) that were sweethearts before winter and now are wild animals who attack everytime you move LOL. Is there any way that I can change this? I admit that since it has gotten cold that time wasn't spent with them as it was before but I don't want to have to get rid of them if I can change their attitudes. please if you know of anything....HELP!!

Pick them up, carry them around. Sit on a bench and just hold them on your lap. Put them down when they stop squirming. Worked of my Oliver. He likes me but steps out of my way.

Normally when i have a rooster, sure they are young, OK temperament, but once they attack you and see they "like" attacking you...they don't really stop. what i can tell you is

1) Do not run, don't back down...once they get into that little lowered walk they do, Eyeballing your feet, feathers up, try to look big, make a weird sound, point at him, this will either A) want him to attack you now even more B) think Man she is crazy! and walk away. << good luck.

2) When they start attacking, grab them (Yes i know) normally i start yelling "Does someone need a hug!!" and pick them up. as mad as they are.. they HATE being cuddled, Normally whoever steps out of line and wants to tango with me, becomes my little helper around the farm for a few minutes, just tucked right under my wing "lol" as we both walk around the yard together. once he calms down i let him go, keep doing this, and he Might stop.

i noticed with my "attack" roosters once they turn "bad" they don't really go back but the "Hug method" works and maybe rather then getting attacked every time i come into the coop he attacks every other time or so...whatever you do DON'T run.

i used to when i first got into chickens, and i swear it makes roosters turn into hell dragons with feathers. oh and in case the spurs are to much for you, try the potato trick, i never done it but seems the easiest and safest way, if i ever get a rooster that's too much, He just goes to auction.

Back
Top Bottom