From pets to outdoor?

DreadedMoonMama

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 26, 2012
So I have goslings that are about 2 weeks old. They have definitely imprinted on me...I can't walk by the brooder without picking them up without them having a fit (my husband, however, they could care less about, lol). I've taken a lot of effort to hand raise them as I've heard adult geese can be pretty aggressive (and I have 3 children to look out for). We originally got the geese as "guard geese", but again I wanted to be sure to have them "join the family" first. But I'm wondering how it will work when I go to transition them to being outside. It's never been an issue with my chickens, but then again my chickens have never thought I was mommy! While I'm not really opposed to house geese, that's not why we got them and my husband would have a fit. They already go outside with me and my kids during the day while we're doing chores, but the second one of us goes into the house, here they come right behind! It's adorable, but I'm just wondering if they will start to gain their independence as they get older. They won't always be this attached to me, right?

I think my bond with my gander is deeper now that when he was a gosling. He will follow me into the house, greet me at the front door or front gate. When I went on a mini vacation DH told me that he sat outside my office window and cried for the first day.

Now "we" are raising goslings together.

My late goose started being more independent when he was around 3 months old. He'd start staying outside alone more, and when he was around 5 months old, I'd just let him out in the morning and let him in again at night. Of course I spent lots of time with him outside, and if he wanted in during the day, he'd just rattle the cat flap.

He still came running the second he heard me open the door, and if he was bored and wanted me to take him for a walk, he'd honk incessantly in front of the windows until I came out.

Even though goslings are almost adult sized when they're 2 months old, they're still goslings and need a lot of company. You can't really train it out of them - you need to let them develop their adult minds. Geese seem intelligent because they communicate so much, but their brains are tiny, and they're almost pure instinct. In nature lost goslings are easy prey for predators as they can't fly, so they'll seek protection with their parents.

As you have more than one, it'll be easier for them to adjust to being alone outside. But don't expect them to do anything but look for you until they're at least a month old. My first two goslings would stay at the front door for a while. If I didn't come out, they'd go look for me around the back. If I wasn't there either, they'd go to my neighbor's porch and stay there until I came to get them - no matter how long it took.

Back
Top Bottom