From Shed to Chicken Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Gammapod, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Gammapod

Gammapod Hatching

Jun 21, 2009
    Hi!
    I'm considering raising chickens. There's an old tool shed in our backyard that I want to convert into a chicken coop. It's got about 7' X 11' of floor space, and the roof is 8' high at the highest point. I live in eastern Idaho, where it is very cold and very windy in the winter. My main concern is whether or not I need to insulate it, and how much insulation I need, but any other suggestions for a first-timer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. briteday

briteday Songster

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Is the shed metal or wood? How is it built...common 2 x 4 construction or something older and stouter?

I live in northern NV where we routinely get down to 0 and single digits in the winter at night. My coop is not insulated. But I picked breeds that are hardy in the cold and make sure that they have a draft-free coop, plenty of fluffy bedding, unfrozen water, free feed food, and access to the outside/sunshine every day if they choose. We usually only have a day or two that they find the snow repulsive and head back indoors for most of the day. And we get the same egg production all winter even though our coop does not have lighting in the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: