from what age to put chicks on to mixed grain

stylus46

In the Brooder
12 Years
Dec 4, 2007
Middlesbrough, UK
my chicks are now six weeks old and just put them on to growers pellets when can I start them on mixed grain etc.

Stylus
lol.png

I would wait until tey are at least 3 months old. Don't put them on 100% scratch(grain) at once tho. Mix the grower feed and the grain. Start with 75% grower feed & 25% scratch.....then in about a month go to 50% grower & 50% scratch.........then in about another month 25% grower & 75% scratch...then go to 100% scratch. Myself, I never feed 100% scratch, I never feed more than a 50-50 mix! I'm sure everyone has their favorite mixes and most are different. I'm just one that does not think scratch feed is not very nutricious for your birds.

At 16 weeks or so I move mine to 100% layer pellets. Too much scratch isn't good for them because it is like eating candy. Doesn't have the required nutrients they need to make eggs and stay healthy.

As part of their diet, chickens can have grains at any age, if the size of the grain is appropriate. For young chicks, it needs to be ground quite fine. Adult chickens can eat whole grains. Somewhere in between, the grain just needs to be cracked or ground. Adults do digest cracked, crimped or ground grains more easily and thoroughly than whole grains. A good guide, if you're not sure, is to look at the size of the crumble or pellet they can eat. They should be able to eat grain that's the same size.

Don't forget to provide grit, once they are eating anything other than crumble or pellets.

Scratch is good as a treat, to keep them warmer at night in the winter and to give them something to do when it's scattered around. It's not a complete diet, as it is lacking in protein, vitamins and minerals. Basically, it would be like a person eating nothing but cereal, without the milk, for every meal. There are ways to provide protein, vitamins and minerals, but you need to do some reading. It you are only giving scratch as a treat, then you don't need to worry about it.

Back
Top Bottom