Front to back spraddle / splayed leg?

mcornelia

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
I'm a newbie, reading up on splayed leg because I think I have one with the issue. Most of the pics I see the chicks are doing the "splits" left and right (outwards). But my little Silkie girl is doing it more front to back. But it sure looks like splayed leg.

She kinda walks in circles, almost "kneeling" on the leg that slides out in front of her as she stands. I thought maybe it was broken but I picked her up and she doesn't seem to hurt when I poke and prod on her legs - nor do I notice any breaks. (and she is NOT holding it up or anything).

So right now I'm assuming splayed leg of some sort. I have both band-aids and vet-wrap, debating on which one to use. Hope she can walk a little once I'm done with my shackles! The rubber band idea in one post sounded great but I'm not sure I have the dexterity for that one.

Can anyone confirm that splayed leg can go front to back as well as side to side?

(2 weeks old)

Cheers,
Mike

PS - Using pine shaving on top of newspaper. They did sometimes scratch the shavings away creating bald spots of newspaper, but not so much that I thought it would cause this. She was the runt in the litter and has always hobbled a bit due to an injury in shipping (almost killed her the first 48 hours of her life!)

I'm a newbie, reading up on splayed leg because I think I have one with the issue. Most of the pics I see the chicks are doing the "splits" left and right (outwards). But my little Silkie girl is doing it more front to back. But it sure looks like splayed leg.

She kinda walks in circles, almost "kneeling" on the leg that slides out in front of her as she stands. I thought maybe it was broken but I picked her up and she doesn't seem to hurt when I poke and prod on her legs - nor do I notice any breaks. (and she is NOT holding it up or anything).

So right now I'm assuming splayed leg of some sort. I have both band-aids and vet-wrap, debating on which one to use. Hope she can walk a little once I'm done with my shackles! The rubber band idea in one post sounded great but I'm not sure I have the dexterity for that one.

Can anyone confirm that splayed leg can go front to back as well as side to side?

(2 weeks old)

Cheers,
Mike

PS - Using pine shaving on top of newspaper. They did sometimes scratch the shavings away creating bald spots of newspaper, but not so much that I thought it would cause this. She was the runt in the litter and has always hobbled a bit due to an injury in shipping (almost killed her the first 48 hours of her life!)
Looks like you are using paper toweling. I was going to tell you that newspaper is not recommended because it becomes slippery when wet and chicks frequently have trouble getting their footing on newspaper.

She's just on the paper towel for the bandaging. They are on Aspen shavings most of the time. :)

Okay - have used some Vet wrap to hopefully correct the issue.

Anyone else seen splayed leg / spraddle that goes front to back like this?

Best,
Mike

Back
Top Bottom