Frontline cat or dog?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Larkspur88, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    My chickens have had lice. The adult lice are gone but I see eggs all in their feathers around their heads. Yuck. Sevin dust cleared it up but I can't use it again because it makes me get a rash on my arms and legs. So obviously I can't hold my chickens! Going to get frontline and use the few drops method and hope it takes care of the lice eggs too or kills them when they hatch? Or should I try washing that away first?

Anyway. Is it frontline plus for cats or dogs? And how many drops per bird? I have seramas who had lice the worst and several others about their size so bantam size and then five standard chickens and 4 half-grown standards.

2. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    Frontline is very toxic and didn't kill the fleas on my Great Pyr. puppy at all. Try dusting the chickens with DE.

3. Larkspur88

Larkspur88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    South Carolina
    There are considerable records that say there is some resistance to the product from fleas now, but the company will deny it. I need it for lice though. [​IMG] and people have been using it on chickens before. I work for a vet and sell frontline I'm just not familiar with the product in the chicken world therefore need some questions answered.

Oh and how often do you apply it?

4. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I wouldn't use the FrontLine. I had really bad lice on my birds a couple weeks ago, after I picked them up from the farmer. YIKES.

If you see little white specks that cling to the base of the feathers it might be the lice feces, not eggs (the mistake that I made). If you don't see lice after the seven dust, and wait 10 days (if there are eggs) and see little lice, you may want to look into something called permercrine dust (sp?). After 10 day, if you don't see any lice, I wouldn't worry about it. But just in case you need it, check out the permercrine dust (sp?) at your local feed store. It worked amazing for my hens, the lice dropped off as soon as applied.

Then I also sprinkle food grade DE (Diatomacious Earth) in the dirt of their run, where they give themselves dust baths. The DE works as a preventative for fleas and lice. I also sprinkle it in the corners of the house for other mites.

Good Luck!

5. Firefighter Chick

Firefighter Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2011
    Southeast Minnesota
    i would search around for other posts. i heard someone use adams flea and tick spray but i wouldn't know a lot about it.

6. wvfoxhunter

wvfoxhunter Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Lewisburg, WV
    Try using DE. That will usually get rid of almost all kinds of mites

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Permethrin/pyrethrn spray will do it, which lst I looked is what Adams' Flea and Tick spray is, also "poultry dust" in the feed store. I bought a generic of Adam's spray at TSC for about $10, probably a quart bottle. It's a common product in the gardening section.

There is also Eprinex, a cattle wormer, more expensive and only kills the ones that bite the chickens, but it hangs around a while so you dont have to repeat. It's used on people in Africa and there is a debate on here whether you need to withhold eggs (it's given o.5 cc dropped on the neck skin for LF, 0.25 cc for bantams.)

I don't believe DE is very effective against them, possibly because of their hard bodies. It is very effective against worm type things like tomato worms but they are soft bodied. I have read of people using a fair amount of DE preventively and finding their birds infested anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by