Frost bite on feet?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hefalumpmom, Mar 20, 2015.

1. hefalumpmom

hefalumpmom Out Of The Brooder

Nov 10, 2012
    Missouri
    I have an Easter egger that I brought inside this winter because I discovered she was losing weight. She was inside for January, February, and early March. She has only been outside for about a week now and today I noticed one toe that looks to have severe frostbite damage. There are three other toes that look to have moderate damage--turning black but not withering yet. Is it odd that the damage is showing up this late? Is there anything I can do to keep her from losing the moderately damaged toes?? I don't want her to be in pain and would have her euthanized before compromising her quality of life. She really is the sweetest chicken, and I want to do my best for her. I did see a post recommending cayenne pepper added to her feed and amoxicillian, so I'll add that to something like a mash. Her appetite is good, but I see the one foot is hurting her today.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

frostbite is painful, but a chicken can live a good life without most toes, or even without all toes.

The pain of frostbite is a temporary pain.. as in it hurts while the frostbit area starts to die and then falls off, and then the stump part gets a scab over the good part, and then that heals.. but then there is no more pain.

So..... you have to decide if she will have a good life after all of the frostbit area falls off... or if she will be too handicapped...

problems you might have if she is very handicapped is that she might have trouble getting a good place to sleep (might no longer be able to perch), she might have problems getting to the feed or water, and the most difficult problem is that if she is so handicapped that the other birds peck at her. Which means that she will have to always be separate.

Depending on how you feel about all of the above, will determine what the best course of action is for you and for the chicken.

And sorry that I can't help you with the frost bite. I have never tried to recover parts.... now that I have very good venting, as well as very wide perches, I no longer have frostbit toes... (when I had frostbit toes in the past... I culled)

Sorry for what you are going through [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by