Frostbite in Geese...

hockmangirl

In the Brooder
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Pacific Northwest
Hi all...

Was just wondering if you can use the same stuff that you would put on a chickens comb/wattles/etc. to prevent & treat frostbite, can be used on Geese as well?! We are rescuing some that have been out in the elements & pretty darn cold, and want to make sure I can treat them if need be!

Thanks much,

Kitty

I'd sure be surprised if you get frostbite on geese. You can't be too much colder than I am here and I never have any problems with the geese or ducks.

Make sure they have a place to get out of the wind and wet.

Pointing out the obvious: geese don't have combs and wattles and they are wearing a very thick waterproof down coat.

Quote:
These are Chinese Brown Geese that have a large knob on their beak/nose, that is prone to frostbite (just like a chickens comb). And other people who've owned them have said they've had issues with them getting frostbite, which is why I asked. Others have stated also having issues with frostbite on their feet. We've been in the high teens/low twenties for quite awhile now, with all the freaky clear weather we've been having. Seems weird to wish for rain so it would warm up!
hmm.png

They were dumped at the wetlands where they have no shelter/cover from the wind and wet. I just wanted to be prepared in case they need first aid when we get them here.

They'll be in our barn at night, and have access to it during the day.

I have never seen a goose with severly frostbitten feet. Sometimes the webbing edge can be injured, but that generally does not cause them any problems. Usually when resting they tuck one or both (if laying down) feet up in their feathers. Frostbitten knobs on africans or chinese is really only a problem if you intend to show them. It'll turn the black color orange, but if not too severe it can blacken again during the following summer. I keep my africans outside all winter and have never had any permanant damage to their knobs. All they need is protection from the wind and they'll be fine.

It's low teens here most nights and down to 50 below on rare occasions. I've still never had any problems with ducks or geese. Except getting them drinking water when it gets really cold.

Give them a thick bed of straw in their shelter, so they can have some insulations from the cold ground, if it makes you feel better.

I can bury the entire length of my fingers into the breast down of my geese. They are very well prepared for weather. Goose down is one of the warmest materials available. Ask any skier who is wearing a goose down jacket.

Back
Top Bottom