Frostbite on the tips of the comb. :(

lysmandor

Songster
Mar 26, 2020
Lansing, NY
Sadly, I think a few of my hens have some minor frostbite on the tips of their combs. I have two buff orpingtons, an easter egger and a speckled sussex, and the only one unaffected is the easter egger (benefits of a pea comb!). The affected hens have a clear line a few millimeters from the tips of the points, where it's white/pale pink over the line and red below. Everyone is acting normal, eating/drinking, and at least 3 are even still laying (they're in the first winter, hatched in April). I did go out and smear some "hen healer" (basically blue lanolin/petroleum ointment) on the combs and wattles the day before we had a really cold night, but clearly that wasn't enough. :( We weren't having any issues until we had one night where it dropped down to -4 F earlier this week, and then got covered in 2 feet of snow over the next 2 days.

For reference, here's a picture of my coop (obviously old pics from when they were much younger!)- the top of the henhouse is open (covered with hardware cloth). We covered the front 2 feet or so of it with some scrap wood this winter, and the entire bottom half of the run is wrapped with plastic about 4 feet up. They're normally free range during the day, and we keep the door between the henhouse and the run open all the time since the whole thing is predator proof. The walls of the henhouse have inner floating walls as well.

99346155_2944524532302090_2121414184355758080_o.jpg
99116933_2944525345635342_968719711720177664_o.jpg
99346155_2944524532302090_2121414184355758080_o.jpg

We just went out there and threw a blanket over the henhouse section to hopefully keep a little more heat in. Should I do anything in particular to treat the frostbite? We might get a few more cold nights this year, and I do have a radiant heat panel I could throw in there for just the coldest nights. Am I missing something in terms of keeping them warm?

We just went out there and threw a blanket over the henhouse section to hopefully keep a little more heat in. Should I do anything in particular to treat the frostbite? We might get a few more cold nights this year, and I do have a radiant heat panel I could throw in there for just the coldest nights. Am I missing something in terms of keeping them warm?
They need to be DRY. Wash your hands and don't dry one hand go out in the cold and see how that wet hand does. Gets cold real quick and could get frostbitten. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your coop. If you have frost on your walls inside you don't have enough ventilation. Keep your birds DRY and you shouldn't see frost bite on combs.

Your chickens run at 106 F and have a down coat under their feathers. They can keep themselves warm. Usually they put their heads under another bird or under a wing. I believe that if they are too ( artificially) warm they will not keep their heads warm and that might contribute to frost bite.

It looks like you have plenty of ventilation at the top of your coop but you might check if cold air is blowing down onto the roost. I think with temps that cold, some frostbite is inevitable on a single type comb. :(

It looks like you have plenty of ventilation at the top of your coop but you might check if cold air is blowing down onto the roost. I think with temps that cold, some frostbite is inevitable on a single type comb. :(
Many nights here in Western Maine we are below -20. I have 5 WLH with tall combs. And no frostbite.

They need to be DRY. Wash your hands and don't dry one hand go out in the cold and see how that wet hand does. Gets cold real quick and could get frostbitten. Make sure you have plenty of ventilation in your coop. If you have frost on your walls inside you don't have enough ventilation. Keep your birds DRY and you shouldn't see frost bite on combs.

Your chickens run at 106 F and have a down coat under their feathers. They can keep themselves warm. Usually they put their heads under another bird or under a wing. I believe that if they are too ( artificially) warm they will not keep their heads warm and that might contribute to frost bite.
They do not currently have any artificial heat on them. They have PLENTY of ventilation - the entire top of the henhouse is open and the door is also open all the time. (See picture above - the entire space between the white henhouse wall to the pvc roofing panel is open space.) I have never seen any frost anywhere in the coop, although it was windy enough to blow snow through the soffits.

To be fair, it definitely doesn't help that one of my buff orpington hens decided to grow a ridiculously large comb... flops almost over her eye like a comb over hairdo. :D

I live in a very dry and windy area so I have seen frostbite on my single combed chickens even when the temps were not super cold. It was all due to the wind chill factor on that exposed skin while they were out free ranging. (Why stay inside when you could run around in a wind storm?!)

I would check for any drafts and create temporary covers if you have wind coming in onto the chickens’ heads. Other than that, I’d keep on with the Vaseline stuff.

They do not currently have any artificial heat on them. They have PLENTY of ventilation - the entire top of the henhouse is open and the door is also open all the time. (See picture above - the entire space between the white henhouse wall to the pvc roofing panel is open space.) I have never seen any frost anywhere in the coop, although it was windy enough to blow snow through the soffits.

To be fair, it definitely doesn't help that one of my buff orpington hens decided to grow a ridiculously large comb... flops almost over her eye like a comb over hairdo. :D
My WLH's have combs that are 3-4 inches high, no frostbite. IDK.

ETA: What is a radiant heat panel?

Back
Top Bottom