1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frostbite...what it looks like

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SandraChick, Feb 7, 2007.

1. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

upon searching for other things...I happenstanced on this little picture gallery that shows among other things, what frostbite on combs and wattles looks like.

I thought it might be helpful since so many are dealing with "the big freeze" lately.

http://www.thecozynest.com/pictures.htm
    Sandra

2. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Brilliant, just what I needed for my website [​IMG]

3. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    PS Do you have any idea what temperature you need to get down to before you have a problem with frostbite?

4. Foghorn

Foghorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Quote:That is a very good question Helena!

I hope someone could answer it soon. It seems temperatures this winter are abnormally low. I would assume that comb size as well as drafts associated with wind chills would be a factor also.

5. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a tough question--

it depends on the conditions, the conditions of the animals....etc.

It's more common with breeds with large combs/wattles
    I heard several times now it can be related to the combs or wattles getting wet when they drank water
    Wind (drafts) and moisture (humidity) can increase susceptability as well....

I'd say it can happen at any freezing temps...INCLUDING FREEZING WINDCHILL (meaning it could be above freezing, but the wind makes it feel a lower temp)
    sandra

6. chicachic

chicachic Out Of The Brooder

Seeing the pics, it seems like my rooster has a little frostbite, it would be on the top edge, correct? beause I also believe he has a scab from my other rooster pecking him through the fence. So what do I do about the frostbite? It doesn't look as though I can fis it..I wonder if he hurts there and what might I do to relieve and suspected pain?

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    And I love the orthopedics section too! A pipecleaner! Who'd of thunk it?

8. Maureen&chickens

Maureen&chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Townsend
    I have 4 roosters in my coop and only the tiniest one with the smallest comb & wattles has frostbite on his comb. Not sure why . . .

9. Arizona Chickens

Arizona Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 20, 2009
    Grants Pass
    Thanks for photos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by