Frostbite

ZuniBee

Songster
12 Years
May 8, 2007
Zuni, Virginia
I've got chickens with frostbite on their combs and wattles. It hasn't really even gotten real cold here with the coldest night was in the 20's F and always above freezing during the day. The coop is insulated and they are inside at night. After reading info about vaseline I bought a large jar and put it on every comb and wattle. (They really liked it by the way!) That night the temp got down to 20F and the next day there were more black spots on the comb of my big roo. I read that people don't heat their coops in much colder temps that what I have had. How do you keep them from getting frostbite? For now, I plan to add a heat lamp on the nights where the temp is supposed to drop below freezing.

Ouch Zuni...so sorry for your chickens. I have a heat lamp over the roosts...about 4 ft above them. I only use it when the temps are really cold at night. So far so good. Hope your chickens heal quickly.

Frostbite takes time to develop. It could have been a couple of days prior to applying the vasoline that they were effected. Frostbite can happen anytime the temp dropes below 32F. We use a heat lamp on a timer, its set to turn on a couple of hours after they settle in to roost and turns off when its time to get up.

Back
Top Bottom