Frostbite?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ck_dunham, Dec 2, 2010.

1. ck_dunham

ck_dunham Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2010
    Ottawa, KS
    So, a few weeks back I had seen some black at the tips of my Brown Leghorn Roo's Comb. I kept an eye on it for two weeks with no change. Now it’s allot colder here and last night I came out to see the flock and my Roo had more black then before and now is also bleeding. I took the time to make a few quick changes to the coop, Like added plastic all the way around the run to brake the North winds and added 6" pine shavings to the floor plus I also added a heat lamp to help brake the Chill.

What I need to know, Is there something I can do for him to heel up better/faster? Will the comb shed skin to make the black from frostbite go away? I feel treble for them and I thought that they would be ok in the coop cuz its rather well air tight but I open there door at 5am and I'm not home till after 10:30pm most nights so I only guess that they got it from being out during the day in the cold wind.

Thanks!

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Some folks put vaseline on the combs to prevent frostbite. Once it turns black the black part may fall off, from what I have read.

I haven't tried the vaseline though.

3. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    HELP!!!! I was just about to start a new post on the exact same thing! I'm wondering if they will heal after frostbite, or will the black area's fall off and they look horrible from then on?

4. Ms. Lewis Rich

Ms. Lewis Rich Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Yep the black will sluff off ( is that a word ?) But they do seem to heal looks awful. Trya light or heated water base , the combo of the two helps.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by