Frostbite

ChickenCrazy8

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2012
Canada, Ottawa
My Coop
My Coop
I had been celebrating my hens not getting frostbite but I spoke to soon. The temperature went from super cold (-20C to -30C) to super warm (1C to 10C). And it rained. So it was super humid :( I went out to check on their combs today (approximately once a week I will put vaseline on their combs) and two of my chickens who have single combs have the top of their combs white and also it looks swollen. It is getting super cold again so then by tomorrow it will be -15C. Is there anything I can do for them other then putting vaseline on their combs???
Thanks,
Zoë

I had been celebrating my hens not getting frostbite but I spoke to soon. The temperature went from super cold (-20C to -30C) to super warm (1C to 10C). And it rained. So it was super humid :( I went out to check on their combs today (approximately once a week I will put vaseline on their combs) and two of my chickens who have single combs have the top of their combs white and also it looks swollen. It is getting super cold again so then by tomorrow it will be -15C. Is there anything I can do for them other then putting vaseline on their combs???
Thanks,
Zoë
I've never had the problem but hav read what others have done. The vaseline is a good thing. I would say if in a few days the swelling doesn't go down switch to neosporin or another first aid cream without lidocaine in it. [If you see anything with the 'caine' on the end of it, don't use it]

As for the temps, have you tried a heat lamp of any kind? It doesn't have to be a 250 watt bulb. Even a 100 watt bulb gives off heat. If it could be hung over where they roost at night it would go a long way in keeping it from happening again.

That color you mention is the predecessor to the death of the tissue. Probably a good idea to see where you're leaking air into your coop and repairs those spots. Also, heat lamps are great during the day for them to huddle under. We've had to put a heater into the coop on frigid days like today and even that seems inadequate to bring the room to a comfortable temperature. But it is helping.

Back
Top Bottom