Frostbite?

I've had really good success keeping juvenile birds comfortable with hot water jugs (capped tightly!) at night. I suppose if one had a roo that didn't roost (ie, that slept on the floor) you could put a hot jug next to his sleeping spot and he might allow the foreign object to keep him warmer at night. If he didn't mind the sight of the jugs perhaps you could put one on each side of him. The only drudgery is re-filling them all every night. Fill them in a plastic bin and tote it out there for each spot/show rooster pen.

I see frostbite every year on at least one of my (why always good show) roosters. It starts with white skin on the tips of a rooster's comb, then the white goes black and goes through the classic dying and falling off. It seems to happen when a snow melts, when it gets more humid then, or at least that seemed to be the sequence. Perhaps the comb really got the injury back when the temperature was lower, but I didn't notice the paler comb until the next day.

Somewhere a long time ago, I read that a hood hanging over a roost bar could help hold body heat close around roosting birds. I suppose this object would be something to build out of sheet metal and to hang from a chain over a single roost bar away from other bars, but it might attract birds to roost ON it instead of on the wood roost underneath. I wish I would have read further, if there was more detail.

Thanks for the info folks ...much appreciated....I had a local chicken gal come over and check out my setup, she didn't see anything out of place ...I think I'm actually going to open one of the vents at the roof line and see if that works....I noticed icicles on the coop for the first time...it has to be humidity.

Is this frostbite? She's had something similar in October and it ended up being dried on yogurt. It's been in the negatives lately and this showed up. It feels hard and seems to be getting thicker. Hard to get a good close up they move so fast.

Back
Top Bottom