frostbitten comb

KristyMN

Songster
9 Years
Feb 26, 2012
Minnesota
My buff orphington has a little white on the tips of her comb today - is that frostbite? I am in MN and it has been rather cold. My question is if there is anything I can/should do for her comb - I read vaseline on it? Should I apply vaseline to the other hens as well, to prevent further frostbite?

Thanks for your help.

Yes, vaseline can help prevent frostbite. It also helps to find that perfect balance between good ventilation, but no direct drafts on the chickens in the coop.
Thank you. My coop is well-ventilated, but my crazy hens have decided to start roosting outside, and I got to them to usher them into their coop rather late one night. Not sure what that is all about, but I think that is the main reason for the frostbite. :( I have some Vick's Baby Rub, would that work? I can't find my vaseline...

Silly hens. Vicks rub should work. If they don't like that, then Neosporin ointment also has a petroleum base. Maybe even lip balm would work.
Thanks. I already applied it on all of them. They didn't seem to care - they just like being held! I think they were unhappy with their roost, so I made some changes that I think will help. I was using a thick dowel but switched to a 2x4 - they seem to like it in there better now. Hopefully I won't have to move my sleepy hens tonight! Sheesh :)

My RIR had the same thing before I put heat lamps in the 'coop'. She didn't seem to mind and in 2 months it was all back to normal. I feel for your Minnesota weather - it's been below 0 at Colorado altitudes lately. She'll be fine. P

I do have a red light bulb I use in the coop at night (it is too small to need a proper "heat" lamp), but I didn't think they needed it last night because the temp stayed in the 20s overnight. Lesson learned! Lamp will be back on tonight, even though it is a balmy 24 degrees today ;)

Many peeps will tell you you don't need a heat lamp. I'm not sure what your situation is, but mine have a converted stall in the barn. When it gets to single digits out EVERYONE is on lockdown (horses, barn kitties, etc.) The heated water bowl was the best investment so far But if anyone gets cold they can sit under a lamp. Stay warm, P

It could be frostbite, but when my chickens get frostbite it's usually black. White usually means a fungal infection. If vasoline doesn't work, put miconazole cream for yeast infections on it. That always clears my chickens right up! Good luck!!:)

Light frost bite tends to start out whitish, and if it kills some tissue on the comb then it turns black over several days. Finally the dead tissue is shed over time.

I learned about the process with my roosters their first winter.

Back
Top Bottom