Frothy mustard-colored poop?

bokbokbacab

In the Brooder
Aug 10, 2020
I've looked at the popular poop guides and I can't decide if this looks like a foamy cecal poop or a sign of a problem. It would help me out if experienced keepers could say whether this looks like something I should worry about.

My ~20 week barred rock pullet has been having frothy yellow poops for the last couple of days. Basically the usual brown stuff, a bit of white and mustard yellow froth. Otherwise she is acting normal--eating (mix of starter crumble and layer pellets), drinking and talking with her buddy. She might be sitting a little more than normal? But it's also 80 degrees, so sitting around isn't so strange. She doesn't seem to have lost weight and her skin color doesn't seem off. Yesterday the poops seemed intermittent. Now I am not sure. I found 3 in the run this afternoon. I don't see anything wiggling like a worm. The other hen's poops seem normal.

The last couple of days they have gotten watermelon, scratch and kale as treats.

Here's what the poops generally look like (they are not splattery like diarrhea). Possibly worth noting that they do smell the same as cecal poops to me:
poop 1.jpg

Can you take some droppings in to your local vet for a fecal float, to look for worms and coccidia? There looks to be cecal droppings mixed with normal stool.

I think it's too late in the day now, but I can call my regular vet tomorrow and see if they'll test some of the droppings (or refer me to someone who can).

Is it unusual for there to be regular poop and cecal mixed? Or would this be more just to make sure everything's ok?

Hello! Curious if anything came of this? I found a very similar poop today, from a young cockerel who isn't behaving quite normal...

Hey there. I spoke to some other people who had chickens around the time I posted this who said their chickens had similar droppings shortly after eating watermelon or lots of veggies. If you've been giving them treats like that it could be that.

That said, the pullet affected did have to be put down due to Marek's (confirmed by lab tests) within a month of when this was posted. :/ I'm not 100% sure it had anything to do with that, but it is possible...

Hey there. I spoke to some other people who had chickens around the time I posted this who said their chickens had similar droppings shortly after eating watermelon or lots of veggies. If you've been giving them treats like that it could be that.

That said, the pullet affected did have to be put down due to Marek's (confirmed by lab tests) within a month of when this was posted. :/ I'm not 100% sure it had anything to do with that, but it is possible...
Noooooo, not what I should have read right before trying to fall asleep!!

Back
Top Bottom