Frozen Chicks

JadedPhoenix

Songster
7 Years
Oct 29, 2012
Tyro-Lexington, NC
Well, our light went out last night and my hubby forgot to close the chicks off last night so we woke up to three dead chicks and I found two more that were half frozen. I've brought them inside and been giving them some extra attention (Especially until we could get to the store for new bulbs) and the two that we brought in seem to be doing much better. One was just standing still regardless of what the other chicks around her were doing and was shaking and I had to have hubby get her since I couldn't reach her with my broken ankle. The other one was so frozen she couldn't stand. She was peeping and on her back; she wouldn't even open her eyes up. Now the first one is eating and drinking really well and is even hopping around. The one that couldn't even stand is doing better too but not quite as good as the first one. I've gotten her to drink just a little but she still hasn't eaten that I could tell. They are more active though. I have gotten both to perch on my hand which is great considering they could barely (if at all) stand.

I'm happy to report that BOTH frozen babies are doing great now. The one I was iffy about is now eating and peeping loudly to be held. Hubby is double checking the light now and the rest of the flock is all looking just fine.

Looks like these will be the first two that I take with me to the school house while I wait for my son to get out of school. I was planning to take two each day to handle them during that hour that I sit in line to help them get aquainted with being held. The worst part was that my son (Age 11 with asperger's) was the one to find the dead ones this morning. I wasn't looking forward to telling him that we lost two more but now it looks like I won't have to.

celebrate.gif
Hope they continue to do well !!!!!
celebrate.gif

Well, I've had some odd chick math here lately. After the ordeal of having some chicks freeze we should have ended up with twelve chicks. The other night I could only count ten after they went to sleep. Obviously this concerned me. Today while watching the chicks in the run I counted thirteen.
hu.gif
I counted six more times (They were actually all staying in place and was easy to not lose count.) and each time I got the same number. I just counted them again in the coop and sure enough, thirteen chicks. I have no idea where the extra chick came from. Should I name one Lazarus?

Another odd thing I've noticed is that the largest chicks are four times larger than the smallest despite getting them all at the same time. Strange.

No, no pictures since I don't have a digital camera. All of the chicks are well feathered out and I only got them on Halloween. Needless to say the count made me scratch my head.

Yesterday I had a surprise waiting for me when I went to take some water out to the Chickens along with a couple of oranges for them to eat/play with. I walked out the back door and started to holler to the chicks like I always do and they always rush to the edge of the run underneath the trampoline. Yesterday, however, I had one once and greet me on the walk over. I'm fairly sure she was one of the two that I had to save from being frozen back in November. She was a little skittish when I bent down to pick her up but she was by far easier to catch than any of my last batch of chickens. I have no idea how she got out. The coop was shut up tight and there were no holes in the chicken wire. I suppose it is possible that she somehow slipped through the trampoline wires but that would have been very hard to do. I'm just glad that the dog was up the road playing with his friends at the time and she hadn't caught the attention of any predators before I was able to put her up.

Back
Top Bottom