Frozen comb

turtleblossom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 8, 2008
Kentucky
Two days ago one of my Ameraucana bantie roos was acting funny- sitting around all fluffed up, not interested in food. Then yesterday I found him off by himself in the corner of the pen, all fluffed up again. He was well enough to run from me and avoid being caught for a few min, but when I had a look at him I noticed that his comb is dark greyish-black. I think he got locked out of the coop one night, and got frostbite (even though he has a pea comb). I have him isolated with a bantie hen (for warmth at night), in a small run wrapped in plastic, with a small barn style dog house. Do I need to do anything else for him? Should I dubb his comb? His wattles are fine, they are verry small and completley covered by his beard and muffs. This bird is very valuable to me, and I don't want him to suffer needlessly.

One thing I do before they freeze is put vasoline on the combs. However once they are frost bit.. they will fall off. I normally have my roos at least loose the tips of thier combs every year. Maybe your roo got extreamly cold and it did more damage then just the comb? Mine never act funny.

To late for frozen comb but you might want to try an antibiotic ointment. Dionnes Frost Protection Udder Balm is great prevention.

Your best result would be to remove the comb manually and not wait for the pieces to fall off. You risk your bird by waiting, even with administration of antibiotics.

There is a very good article in this month's Backyard Poultry issue on dubbing in the event of a frostbitten comb or wattles. Some helpful information can also be found Here .

Quote:
You're welcome!
smile.png

Thanks for everyone's help and support. My computer is too s-l-o-w to upload pics, but that's OK because my little roo is doing better. His comb has been more purple-red than black the last two days, and he is eating and drinking as well. He still sits around all fluffed up, but at least he seems perkier.

Back
Top Bottom