Frozen Coop Bedding

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
Does frozen bedding in the coop mean it’s too wet? Or is it just inevitable with below freezing temps? Temps and humidity levels are the same inside and outside the coop. I’ve put a bunch of new pine shavings on top.

It’ll be awhile before I can get pictures. I changed out the bedding in early November. Our coop is also a raised 4x8. I put a good 8” or more in and have sprinkled some fresh on since as needed. No smell. I was just curious! Our highs are in the 20s(F) and much colder air coming in the next few days. No rain or snow getting in. Really, pretty dry weather all season so far. Birds are in the run or free ranging through the day so only in at night to roost.

frozen bedding means moisture. it has to be getting wet somehow.

i have nighttime lows in the mid-20s right now and the bedding is soft and dry and fluffy.
Okay! I’ll work on cleaning some of it out and putting a bunch more bedding in to dry it up the best I can. Probably didn’t have good brown/green ratios.

PS I do have two ducks in the coop. They aren’t wet by the time they get into the coop but boy, their poop is way wetter than the chickens’.

I only know about this from reading because of my climate, but it seems that the poop itself will often freeze into the bedding during prolonged spells of below-freezing weather.

When I was collecting information for my Deep Bedding article, people in cold climates said that one of the reasons they liked Deep Bedding was that they could just keep tossing more on top of the frozen poop and not have to try to break it up until spring.

Back
Top Bottom