Frozen Duck Pops!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DUCKGIRL89, Nov 12, 2011.

1. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Went out really early today to feed the ducks and gather eggs, and my rouen drake was frozen! He had frost all up his back, and he was MAD! I went in and man did he hiss! And try to bite me! I think it was becuz I didnt bring veggies out today [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    I've been storing some of my hay in the duck enclosure. It makes a little area that is EXTRA insulated (and helps me with the limited storage space I have for hay). When I need to freshen up the duck house hay I just pull from one of their stored bales, and bring out new bales as needed. The ducks seem to love the new set up. They are always in their hay room lately, and are a lot quieter in the mornings.

3. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    m.kitchengirl :

I've been storing some of my hay in the duck enclosure. It makes a little area that is EXTRA insulated (and helps me with the limited storage space I have for hay). When I need to freshen up the duck house hay I just pull from one of their stored bales, and bring out new bales as needed. The ducks seem to love the new set up. They are always in their hay room lately, and are a lot quieter in the mornings.

[​IMG] he was pretty mad. Lol! He was acting like a old cranky man [​IMG] lol! Then wouldnt let me leave with the egg [​IMG]

4. m.kitchengirl

m.kitchengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Maine
    Those drakes. Silly little men.
    My drake has changed quite a bit lately. His drake feathers have come out and he has taken some control over his girls.
    They used to lead the way, tell him where the treats were, or where to explore in the yard. Now he is the one who greets me first when I walk into the yard, walking up to me- very out of character for him, he was always painfully shy - and he seems to be telling the girls things almost all the time, a steady stream of whispered duck thoughts. I don't know what he says to them, but it is so quiet and constant I can only imagine he is saying things of a subversive nature like, "There are three of us and one of her, I bet we can get ALL the peas, if we organize".
    He is much more friendly to me, although I could always tell he wanted to be my buddy more than the others, he has just been too shy to do more than sneak peas that drop from my hand when the others eat them. He chatters at me all the time now, and is first to taste the treats. I think he is just making sure I am not trying to poison his girlfriends.

Maybe a little extra hay in your duck houses would cheer him up. My whole flock LOVES when I add hay to their houses. Its the only time the ducks and chickens run as one flock, when they run to follow me from coop to coop with the hay bale.

5. DUCKGIRL89

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    m.kitchengirl :

Those drakes. Silly little men.
    My drake has changed quite a bit lately. His drake feathers have come out and he has taken some control over his girls.
    They used to lead the way, tell him where the treats were, or where to explore in the yard. Now he is the one who greets me first when I walk into the yard, walking up to me- very out of character for him, he was always painfully shy - and he seems to be telling the girls things almost all the time, a steady stream of whispered duck thoughts. I don't know what he says to them, but it is so quiet and constant I can only imagine he is saying things of a subversive nature like, "There are three of us and one of her, I bet we can get ALL the peas, if we organize".
    He is much more friendly to me, although I could always tell he wanted to be my buddy more than the others, he has just been too shy to do more than sneak peas that drop from my hand when the others eat them. He chatters at me all the time now, and is first to taste the treats. I think he is just making sure I am not trying to poison his girlfriends.

Maybe a little extra hay in your duck houses would cheer him up. My whole flock LOVES when I add hay to their houses. Its the only time the ducks and chickens run as one flock, when they run to follow me from coop to coop with the hay bale.

I have straw in their house all the time [​IMG] they like to sleep outside though, except the ducklings... They always hual butt to the shelter [​IMG] I love.my duckies [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by