1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DonaldG, Jan 6, 2016.

1. DonaldG

DonaldG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Don't think our eggs froze but they were pretty cold. The shells weren't cracked so would they still be able to eat?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They are okay until that shell cracks, they could be somewhat cloudy in the white part if they were partially frozen.

3. ehunter

ehunter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2014
    Manitoba, Canada
    I've been collecting frozen eggs lately with our cold temps, due to the fact that I work all day and can't collect until dinner time. Haven't had any issues with them yet. I put them in the fridge and they're perfect by the time I use them.

4. DonaldG

DonaldG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2015
    Thanks. I have been feeding them to my dogs.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I will use frozen eggs for my own use if: they are clean, if the inner membrane is not ruptured. I crack them into the pan, and if the albumen sticks to the cracked area, I just cook it up for the flock. If the albumen comes out normally, I have it for breakfast. I never sell a "frozen egg", and am now warning my customers to let me know if they get an egg with a crack, and I'll make it right with the next dozen that they buy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by