Frozen Hen brought back

Texasgirl4383

In the Brooder
May 16, 2015
Hi there,
I'm in need of advice! I'm in south Texas and upon returning home found that one of my smaller bantam Cochins had stuffed herself in a opening under the inside coop. It's been in the upper 20s and lower 30s. There was some wet areas as well. So at 11pm I cut the floor up and retrieved her. She was limp, freezing and wet. I ran to the house as she had taken 1 slight breath and started running warm water over her. I have never felt such a icy body. Started to do the hair dryer and I lost her so I gave her a few breaths and pushed / rubbed her chest. After about 45 mins of working on her she started coming around where she was responding to touch and other stimuli. I got a high concentration of vitamins/probiotics/electrolytes down her. After about 2 hours she was sitting up on the heating pad and was fussing. So left on a low temp heating pad that turned off after 2 hours leaving her off for about 5 to allow her to cool and see if she could maintain body temp. She is looking good - sees and hears. What would the follow up care be??? Antibiotics?!, Shes not interested in water which is fine I'll make her a mash and get some water/food down her. She also can't walk because I think she crammed herself in so tight the it's squished up. I am thinking as she gets stronger that should work itself out? I feel horrible I was out of town for the day she could of been stuck for up to 24 hours based on the night before when I checked on her. Any advice???

Hi there,
I'm in need of advice! I'm in south Texas and upon returning home found that one of my smaller bantam Cochins had stuffed herself in a opening under the inside coop. It's been in the upper 20s and lower 30s. There was some wet areas as well. So at 11pm I cut the floor up and retrieved her. She was limp, freezing and wet. I ran to the house as she had taken 1 slight breath and started running warm water over her. I have never felt such a icy body. Started to do the hair dryer and I lost her so I gave her a few breaths and pushed / rubbed her chest. After about 45 mins of working on her she started coming around where she was responding to touch and other stimuli. I got a high concentration of vitamins/probiotics/electrolytes down her. After about 2 hours she was sitting up on the heating pad and was fussing. So left on a low temp heating pad that turned off after 2 hours leaving her off for about 5 to allow her to cool and see if she could maintain body temp. She is looking good - sees and hears. What would the follow up care be??? Antibiotics?!, Shes not interested in water which is fine I'll make her a mash and get some water/food down her. She also can't walk because I think she crammed herself in so tight the it's squished up. I am thinking as she gets stronger that should work itself out? I feel horrible I was out of town for the day she could of been stuck for up to 24 hours based on the night before when I checked on her. Any advice???
I'm glad that you were able to revive her.

Give her some time to recuperate. Try to push fluids since she is most likely dehydrated. A wet mash will be helpful, but you may want to consider tubing water into her. To make water more palatable you can add a little sugar to it. Vitamins/electrolytes are also a good idea.

Offer some chopped hard boiled egg or tuna.

Keep us posted on her progress.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/805728/go-team-tube-feeding

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom