1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frozen Peeps! - For all of us chickeneers in cold weather climates

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by Cluckies, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Cluckies

Cluckies Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Hi Frozen Peeps,

I thought it would be nice to start a thread for those of us who live in cold weather climates. It goes without saying that raising chickens in colder climates comes with its own set of struggles.
    We could share/commiserate on what we are going through, our trials[​IMG], tribulations[​IMG], and triumphs[​IMG]! Newbies [​IMG]as well as experienced [​IMG]cold weather bird keepers are welcome.

Feel free to join in also if you have other birds, ducks, geese, peafowl, quail, etc. we are open to everyone! Posts and links to other great articles/threads you've read and found helpful are also welcome.

So welcome to the thread, grab some coffee, hot chocolate, tea, or hot toddy, [​IMG] and try and stay warm! [​IMG]

Cluckies

2. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    So I'll introduce myself, I'm Cluckies from Minnesota. I have 5 ladies: BO - Cluck-Cluck, Gold Comet - Fi, SLW - Morticia (ticia), SLW - Mother, EE - Silly Goose. This is my second winter with chickens, I've learned alot my first year, but I'm always looking for ways to do things better, especially in winter [​IMG]
    Cluckies

3. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I don't do much special and it gets ultra cold here (minus 25 or so). I don't heat my coops, nor are they insulated, but I keep them free from drafts and use deep litter. So far so good in 6 years o' chicken keeping. I have about 45 chickens in two coops.

I do use heated dog bowls for water, but that's for MY convenience. :)

4. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop
    Sounds like you are doing something right! Welcome to the thread! featherz

5. Devin23

Devin23 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2015
    Southwest Wisconsin
    I do about the same as feathers here in southwest Wisconsin it was -25 and up with windchill today! But all of mine seem to being doing fine! My uncle told me to make sure they have water to get to so they can keep their body temperature up! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. Cluckies

Jul 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by