Frozen Pop Door

I sprayed the "man door" with cooking spray. An old Canola spray I have around. It was 17 degrees last night and no issues. It was not particularly wet though.

My only concern with your door is that you get the proper coverage with the oil. IMO you would need to be sure it gets total coverage in the track to keep the condensation from sticking.

Thank you! and good luck!

I sprayed the "man door" with cooking spray. An old Canola spray I have around. It was 17 degrees last night and no issues. It was not particularly wet though.

My only concern with your door is that you get the proper coverage with the oil. IMO you would need to be sure it gets total coverage in the track to keep the condensation from sticking.

Thank you! and good luck!

We're supposed to be below freezing tonight/tomorrow morning, so I'll see if the olive oil spray worked. :) I did try to spray all along the edges that come into contact with the track, along with the track. Our metal latch also froze ("man door"), and I sprayed that - much to my wife's unfavorable contact when she went in to give them their daily treat of parsley and grass (our three hens love our yard grass more than any other treat) yesterday.

Since I can't really see the door, I assume it's external? Putting the pop door internally (which isn't always possible, depending on style of door) could help.

It's actually on the inside of that run - but the condensation, I would imagine, has no concept of internal or external when it comes to where it resides - but I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

It's actually on the inside of that run - but the condensation, I would imagine, has no concept of internal or external when it comes to where it resides - but I sincerely appreciate your thoughts.

I meant internal to the coop. My door was meant to be mounted externally but I asked the shed guy to put it inside. It partially froze in tracks once, but just barely (where a jiggle was enough to loosen it).

Wait, is the auto door you're having issues with for the run and not the coop? I can't tell with the tiny avatar photo.

I meant internal to the coop. My door was meant to be mounted externally but I asked the shed guy to put it inside. It partially froze in tracks once, but just barely (where a jiggle was enough to loosen it).

Wait, is the auto door you're having issues with for the run and not the coop? I can't tell with the tiny avatar photo.

Sorry, rosemarythyme - I didn't do a good job describing where the pop door was (most pop doors are to the coop, of course). Yes, this is a second pop door that leads to an extended run, and it's one I made myself - a manual one that I open and shut by pulling/releasing a rope.

Oh, now I see it on the left!
Needs shelter....not sure any oiling will keep it thawed.

aart - it's actually sheltered well from the rain - it's on the north-east side, and, again, it's condensation I'm battling. I'm only trying oil as that's what my research said to use. I was just wondering if anyone had experience or any better ideas of how to prevent moving parts (like even our metal latch on the human door) from freezing.

Sorry, rosemarythyme - I didn't do a good job describing where the pop door was (most pop doors are to the coop, of course). Yes, this is a second pop door that leads to an extended run, and it's one I made myself - a manual one that I open and shut by pulling/releasing a rope.

Gotcha! Yeah, that might be tough since it's condensation+freeze and not rain+freeze that you're battling. Don't think anything stops condensation from mucking stuff up outside in winter mornings in WA state.

Back
Top Bottom