Frozen Water System Ideas.

livestrong

Hatching
Sep 12, 2019
My first winter with birds is quickly approaching and I'm going to be keeping mine in a detached garage. We are using a gravity feed watering system. Has anyone had any luck with adding propylene glycol to your bird's water? I'm also open to any other ideas.

The only direct research I can find is from this article which i can't find an actual copy of - Farshid, A.A., Rajan, A., Nair, M.K., Ultrastructural pathology of the lymphoid organs in Japanese quail embryos in experimental ochratoxicosis, Indian Veterinary Journal

Last edited:

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
My first winter with birds is quickly approaching and I'm going to be keeping mine in a detached garage. We are using a gravity feed watering system. Has anyone had any luck with adding propylene glycol to your bird's water? I'm also open to any other ideas.

The only direct research I can find is from this article which i can't find an actual copy of - Farshid, A.A., Rajan, A., Nair, M.K., Ultrastructural pathology of the lymphoid organs in Japanese quail embryos in experimental ochratoxicosis, Indian Veterinary Journal
If they are going to be in your garage, why not use a heater? I would never or a glycol in the water.

livestrong

Hatching
Sep 12, 2019
If they are going to be in your garage, why not use a heater? I would never or a glycol in the water.

Well it's not insulated and I do want them getting a heater in case it prevents them from growing enough of a winter coat. how would you heat a gravity bucket? wouldn't the cups freeze up?

DobieLover

Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Well it's not insulated and I do want them getting a heater in case it prevents them from growing enough of a winter coat. how would you heat a gravity bucket? wouldn't the cups freeze up?
Is this something like what you are using?
15627200947473552472016001932353.png

When I said use a heater, I should have clarified that I meant a heater for the water.
I will be putting a thermostatically controlled bird bath heater in mine.

livestrong

Hatching
Sep 12, 2019
Is this something like what you are using?
View attachment 1905813
When I said use a heater, I should have clarified that I meant a heater for the water.
I will be putting a thermostatically controlled bird bath heater in mine.

My current setup has those little cups with the yellow thing in them. Your system seems close enough to the bucket that the warmer water would keep everything flowing.

DobieLover

Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
My current setup has those little cups with the yellow thing in them. Your system seems close enough to the bucket that the warmer water would keep everything flowing.
Change the cups to horizontal nipples and drop a thermostatically controlled bird bath heater in it or use a thermocube with a small aquarium heater.

Last edited:

DK newbie

Crowing
6 Years
Apr 20, 2015
I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about a guy who used glycerol in the water of birds (probably parrots) to prevent it from freezing. No clue about the amounts, it was just a short sentence like "I remember the good old times when we used to put glycerol in the drinking water to prevent it from freezing..." - nothing scientific about it, but apparently it worked. Don't know about propylene glycol.
I wouldn't be too worried about using either. But if you can't find any recommended concentrations, I'd definitely start with small amounts and work my way up, till you find out how much it takes to keep the water frost free.

Top Bottom