frozen water!

fratmor

Songster
9 Years
Sep 10, 2010
ny,ny
hi all! I was worried about my water freezing, so I went for broke and got a plastic heated waterier $40+
barnie.gif
.Well this week we got weather in the 20 I went out to cheek the chicks and my water was frozen .I checked to make sure my electric was working ,it was working.I took the waterier inside let it defrost.when I opened it I had a 1 inch thick block of ice all around .has anyone else had this problem or do I have a bad one? thanks

bob what do you have there? do you have instructions to share! I have a plastic water also is that the 40 watt light in the cookie tin. because i thought i couldn't use it with my plastic.I brought a pipe heater today I'm going to wrap it around a home depot bucket and see if that works .I need a solution by next week I'm leaving the girls for a week with a neighbor coming to check them.

Last edited:
bob love the hat I was thinking of what to use that they wouldn't peck and eat.o you cut a hole in the cookie tin does that work better then just leaving the lid on

Quote:
yes it works better, heat gets directly to plastic not to tin then plastic. i tested this one dry for two hours in the house at 72 degrees, no melted plastic.
pic 1-cut hole in top, use extension cord, attach plug socket, 60 watt bulb, insulation holds socket and bulb in place.
pic 2-added foil to reflect heat, added four eye bolts and bungie cords.
pic 3-shows hole for extension cord. see how much wider the tin is than the font. cut hole in top allowing full support of red trough.
hot edge of lid keeps the trough warm and frost free. the smaller tins will keep tank warm, but the trough will frost up or freeze.
i use the taller tins to keep fount clean. this one is for silkies. yes you can hang this font, the bungies will support the weight keep the
heater and font tight together.
my dw came up with many suggestions and ideas. also thanks to henney penny ad her dh, post 100550 and brooky, post 107951.
bob

Back
Top Bottom