Fruit and Veggie Pulp question

foxmfan1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 16, 2013
I got a new juicer for my birthday, it separates the juice in one container, and spits out the pulp, leftovers to another container. So now I am going to be having alot more fruit and veggie pulp. I figured I could feed it to my ladies as a treat. My question-- are there any fruits or veggies that are bad for my ladies

also, I can make soy, almond, or rice milk with it, would the pulp from soy beans, almonds or rice, be ok for them to eat.

I plan on the juice being all natural, so I will be using all organic food, with no extra additives like salt, sugar, etc.

Also, just a silly question will the addition of a variety of fruits and veggies, change the taste of their eggs?

thanks for taking the time to reply

I have a juicer and I give any pulp I dont save for me or my dogs to the chickens. They have never had a problem with any of it.
You didn't ask for pulp tips but.... I try to put my fruits and vegetables through in usable order. I will do some apples and carrots then bag that pulp, for use in breads, muffins and cookies. Then I will do greens and save in small snack size zip loc bags for use in eggs. I also make dog treats with mixed pulp and a bit of oat flour, eggs and dry gravy mix. Just mash it together, press into a cookie sheet pan and bake on low (250 to 300) heat till dry. I cut it as soon as I take it out of the oven, but then I let it cool on the pan. My dogs love them more than any treat I can buy them.
The pulp can go into the freezer in zip loc bags. I normally use my "bullet" to make juice with the pulp and or smoothies. But when I'm out of bagged pulp in the freezer I drag out the juicer.

Last edited:
the pulp still has a lot of nutrients, including fermentable fiber that does not go in the juice. All animals like it. I stopped juicing precisely for that reason.

I recently started picking up fruit/veggie pulp from a local juice store. I get a garbage bag full every day. I find that the chickens love the green stuff (mostly kale) and the white stuff (leftovers from cashewmilk production) and they will eat some of the carrot pulp and pick through the rest for a few choice bits. The cows LOVE the carrot, beet, and citrus remains.

Back
Top Bottom