Fruit fly trap that works! New photos

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by Kikiriki, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    I have been fighting fruit flies, unsucessfully I am afraid. I made a vinegar trap, bought traps that turned out to be vinegar traps, put everything in the refrigerator (usually keep some of our thick skinned fruits and onions/garlic out until they get cut open.

Nothing worked. Traps were useless.

So today, I cut open a cantaloupe. In an instant a fruit fly was buzzing it. Hmmm....

I ate my fruit and then poured the remaining juice into a small glass plus a little water, added 3 drops of dish soap and stirred it with my finger to prevent forming bubbles.

It already has three dead fruit flies! :lol: yippee!!

Forego the vinegar and use fruit juice!

2. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Now that is thinking outside the box. Great idea.[​IMG]

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I used a cider vinegar trap last week and in 4 days cleared my kitchen of fruit flies completely. At least once I figured out their source - an old bottle of wine that I was trying to make red wine vinegar out of, the top had gotten knocked off.

4. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida
    The homemade and store bought vinegar traps did not do well for me at ALL.

I made a slight change last evening when I discovered my DH's last banana was going overripe. Photos below!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did not know there were this many! Only ever saw one or two at a time... This was in just 15 hours! Compare that to the 5 I caught in a week with the vinegar trap....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by