Fruit for layers

TimM

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I just got my WONDERFUL Meyer Hatchery catalog today. I used to think that my three new Golden Buffs were all I could desire, but now I want five of each variety!

Anyhow, the 'Care of Poultry" section at the front of the catalog says this:

"Don't feed fruit to layers, since it can cause them to stop laying and it may take them as long as six weeks to start laying again."

Yikes! Mine love cut up pears and apples, and they go nuts over grapes. I guess I've got to stop. I see plenty of references to fruit feeding here, so what's up? Thoughts???

Tim

Never had a problem here....all summer, we fed melon and watermelon to keep them cool, and they get all the scraps from my canning. Some were laying in the summer, and some started laying (got them in April). There didn't seem to be any delay in laying, or ceased laying. They still get a lot of scraps with fruit in them (the neighbor also feeds them their scraps - with my permission). My RSL started laying right on 20 weeks, and my RIR started at 24 weeks, the rest at 26 weeks. They got fruit the whole time.

It is more a warning to stay away from high acid fruits such as oranges, etc. It can stop your hens from laying, it doesn't mean that they will stop laying. I hope that clears it up!

Watermelon, grapes, or blueberries. You could also try pokeberries, but DON'T eat them yourself, they are poisonous to humans. But not to birds.

Our girls never stopped laying ha ha! My DH brings them home fruit cocktail 2 days a week, big veges one day a week, & salad mix 2 days a week. Never had any problems here! If they don't have fruit cocktail then it's always some other fruit.

Back
Top Bottom