Fruit tree over run attracting predators

naivetefarm

In the Brooder
Oct 28, 2015
Nebraska
So... I used to tractor my birds, but my home-made coop and run were very heavy and when I became pregnant last year, I decided to just park them permanently under a tree that had low branches so that the birds would have plenty of shade during out hot summers. Everything worked great last season and I had no issues. This year, however, my tree suddenly blossomed for the first time in the 3 years we've lived here and put forth a HUGE crop of apricots (surprise!).

While this was a fun discovery for me (yay for jams, cordials, pie fillings and more!), this week I have both a family of raccoons and a family of possums who are just as delighted about the fruit as I am. They're in the tree directly above my coop every single night when I go to lock everyone up. While my run is pretty darn predator proof, I fear that the raccoons, in particular, will decide that the birds are worth some hard work once the easy fruit supply diminishes.

We have a coon hound who freaks out and "trees" the predators every night, but it doesn't seem to dissuade them at all. Any helpful hints for getting rid of them besides trapping or killing them? Do I need to go to the trouble of relocating my chickens and ducks to a different area of the yard (we have about 1 acre) in town down a dead end surrounded by woods. Trying to fix this issue before it becomes a *real* problem.

Moving your coop will not dissuade the coons from trying to get into the coop if they decide that's what they want to do. So keeping it tight and secure is paramount. Although the tree may be attracting more of them, they may have been around anyway.

Even killing them may not completely remove the threat, there's always more around, but it could reduce the decimation of your fruit harvest.
If you can shoot a gun where you are, the nightly snacking makes it pretty easy to nail them, providing your are a good shot.

Might be hard to trap with the food source, if you do trap, kill do.not.relocate.

If the tree is a distance from others such that the coons cannot access it from the other trees, then encircle it with some electro net.

X10

An electric fence......netting or poultry type wire fence...... surrounding the whole ensemble will protect both the tree and birds.

In days past, chickens and fruit orchards went hand in hand. Birds could hang out under the shade of the trees and while they were at it, pick off any worms, bugs, etc. attacking the fruit trees, plus they got to clean up the dropped fruit. Their droppings helped fertilize the fruit trees, which can benefit from the extra nitrogen. The orchard surrounded by a 4 or 5 foot tight fence was the chicken yard. An electric fence does the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom