Fruit wine makers out there?

Went in to check on the wines and ciders in the basement room they're kept in, and found that one had somehow pushed the universal stopper and airlock out onto the floor. The bottle didn't really seem to have much going on in the way of fermentation, so it was a bit of a surprise. The stopper was a tight fit, too.

Any thoughts on the three piece airlock versus the single piece? I prefer the three piece - it's easier to fill and clean, IMO. Also noticed that the orange wine seems to have stained the primary fermenting bucket inside, and even oxygen cleanser didn't get the stain out. May just have to dedicate one bucket to citrus ferments...

Any winemakers out there making fall wines?

I've made a honey mead before. Added some different fruits and spices to see where it could go. It's actually quite yummy and I probably should whip up another batch. Thanks for the reminder!

I've made a honey mead before. Added some different fruits and spices to see where it could go. It's actually quite yummy and I probably should whip up another batch. Thanks for the reminder!

Mead is one of my favorites, but I haven't tried making it yet...this does seem like a good time of year for it.
smile.png
Do you brew a dry, sweet, or semisweet?

I recently tasted an orange wine I started a while back and it was surprisingly good (not that I was thinking it would be bad, but for some reason, I just don't think of using citrus for wine) - it's almost like a cordial. Am really enjoying the home winemaking - pretty easy compared to brewing beer, and a really nice payoff!

Ya. Besides the price of the honey, it's a pretty decent expense. Plus it's fun!
And it will look super cute in my wine rack (once uts built!)
I really like the ones where I added cinnamon. Was super yummy.

Ya. Besides the price of the honey, it's a pretty decent expense. Plus it's fun!
And it will look super cute in my wine rack (once uts built!)
I really like the ones where I added cinnamon. Was super yummy.

So you're a homebrewer and a carpenter - nice!
big_smile.png

I adore cinnamon, and I can see how that would lend itself well to mead. And the honey - I think I'm going to have to start a little apiary so I can supply my own for mead, jun tea, and other delights. Did you use packaged (wine) yeast or just the wild yeast from raw honey? I'm really curious about using wild yeast...I know it's unpredictable, but that can be good. lol

Haha! The boyfriend is the aspiring carpenter. I am not as ambitious.
I would love to have an apiary! I was considering that, but I have such a small backyard compared to all the plans I have for it.
I used the package yeast. Wild yeast does sound like a fun challenge though!

We recently moved back into my boyfriend's childhood home. In the unheated basement we found elderberry wine his parents made back in 1941. That was the year he was born. We opened it up and it was still good!!! It really seems to be more a liqueur than a wine but it's not vinegar even after 75 years. We also found wine in the old cistern. It was all good too. Not sure why. The family had fun enjoying the wine and remembering.

We recently moved back into my boyfriend's childhood home.  In the unheated basement we found elderberry wine his parents made back in 1941.  That was the year he was born.  We opened it up and it was still good!!!  It really seems to be more a liqueur than a wine but it's not vinegar even after 75 years.  We also found wine in the old cistern.  It was all good too.  Not sure why.  The family had fun enjoying the wine and remembering.    
That's amazing!!
1f600.png
Practically a family heirloom...and to have aged that long...very cool.

Back
Top Bottom