Frustrated. Just need to vent: coops.

Twiggers96

Chirping
8 Years
Sep 3, 2011
Arcadia, FL
I get so frustrated trying to find a SIMPLE, easy coop plan for a small coop (to house two Dutch Banties).

It's frustrating because you type "free coop design" online and it's just advice on what to "plan for" - no actual plans OR
it's someone trying to sell you four ebooks for $39.95 and I don't need all that jazz.
rant.gif

I have looked at some of the small coop examples here, but a little too much for something I can get my kin to come to my town and build in one day.

Another reason I am frustrated - and in an ironic sort of way - is that I drive around my rural town and can spot many, many chicken coops in other people's yards. Some are merely wood frames with porch screen stapled around them and I still see MANY chickens - no worries about predators! Others don't have ANY coops and their flocks free range all day long and sleep in trees and there are no casualties that I notice. I live in a rural area and apparently every known chicken predator is after my flock but not the people down the street???!!

Ah well, guess my chickens taste better.
droolin.gif

Thanks for letting me vent.

Yep when you say coop that could mean anything from a piece of plywood resting against a wall to a 3 level house with electric and pluming. You can make one like this for less then $50.00 if you want i can give you the details. it's the same as my avatar.

I thought this was a great video. Easy to follow. I would get a piece of aluminum siding for the roof instead of tar paper and I would give it an over hang of 3 inches all the way around and I would add a nest box that sticks out the back side and cut out some ventilation. My coop has 1/3 inch wide cuts that are about 6 inches long for ventilation no hardware cloth needed to cover them. I am posting my solution for food and water in a small coop sometime tonight. How much do you want to spend. I got for just over 200 a delivered coop with run on ebay, free shipping. It came partially put together. It took about 45 minutes to put together. Also look at http://www.henspa.com/hencondo.htm They are expensive but they have some good ideas that would be easy to copy. That hen condo would be easy to copy and in expensive for just two hens.

Last edited:

I built this one for about 150.00 and used recycled tin for the roof. Can be done in one day. I designed it so that a lone female (me :) ) could built it.

I build mine out of free wood pallets. My out of pocket was: $11.00 for a open pack of shingles at Lowes (1/2 price), roofing nails, deck screws, a gallon of paint & 4 cinder blocks to raise it off the ground. Had the 4 mil plastic to use as a vapor barrier, left over hardware cloth for the window, and left over fencing for the run. Mine is for 2 silkies, 42" x 52". Inside is my oldest chicken.
lau.gif

Depending on how many chickens you have, try searching Craigslist and places like that for used coops. Don't just search coops though, search for large dog houses or rabbit hutches. Anything can be used as a starting point. Ask on your local freecycle for leftover materials like plywood or 2x4's and screening/hardware cloth. It's amazing what people have sitting in their garages that they are only too happy to be rid of. Draw up some plans of your own and go for it!

I feel you! I've lost a ton of my birds to hawks while free ranging, yet my neighbors... NONE! ARGH!

Just to help out a bit with the building options... we transformed an old dog house into a chicken coop really easily. If that sounds like an option for you, maybe search for dog house plans and draw in your own upgraded to make it chicken friendly and give it run. You may be able to find more that way as well. :D

Just a suggestion.

Good luck!

All you really need is a box for shelter and an attached run (optional) for predator protection.
If you've got an old dog house that you're not using, that would make an excellent coop for your two banties.
I built this one for my banties and made it with two floors inside to give them more room.
I cut out some holes in the box and added plexi-glass for windows to allow some light.

farm115.jpg

coop008.jpg

Back
Top Bottom