Frustrated with incubator temps! Are they going to die?

clarkestep

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
N Metro Atlanta
I'm on day 13 and for at least the last 24 hours my incubator keeps spiking up to 104F. It has been doing fine up til now. Well, I have been out of town and my DH has been truning them and well, you know how non-chickie spouses can be..... Is this normal, does the temp rise the further along the chick is? I'm having a problem getting and keeping the temp down. Will I most likely lose my chicks?

Thanks for any information!

JC

I hear your pain
sad.png
...I experienced one temp spike to 105 night before last on day 6. Can't explain it...but...I candled last night and out of 21 I saw embryo movement in all but 2...and they are blue eggs...can't see much anyway. I'm sure I'll lose a couple along the way but so far...so good. Now, the question is...will they be "normal" when hatched? I guess just time will tell.

I know that the embryos do begin to produce more heat when they are near hatching so maybe this is the problem??

Also, remember that it takes time for the inside of the egg to reach that temp. You may be perfectly fine...here's hoping..
fl.gif
fl.gif

If your incubater uses a wafer thermastat,change it out. They can go out at any time. That always takes care of my temp problems.

Mine is a Miss Prissy bator and originally I used a hot water heater thermostat but had way too wild swings in temp. I changed to a dimmer and it's much better....not perfect but better.

I think I'm going to order a "proportional thermostat". These are pricier but recommended when the temp range is narrow.

I'm sorry. It is a still air. The temp has been regularly at 102F.

Now, when everybody talks about seeing movement what do they actually see? When I candle I see an air sac and a big dark blob. I don't see veins (that I know of) and the blob will turn as I turn the egg. Like I will turn it and a second or 2 later it will follow so it can be on the top of the egg. Is that what people are meaning? When I try to candle my darker eggs I don't see much unless I use a red light. But even then I only barely see the air sack and somewhat of a blob.

Thanks!

JC

Back
Top Bottom