Frustrating Chick Feed

Joe Gonzalez

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
I bought my chicks Purina Medicated Chick Starter ( crumble). They are 3 wks old now, and for the first couple of weeks I mashed up their feed by hand, because the crumbles are too big. So now I started giving them the feed with out mashing it, and they just go for the smaller bits and waste way more feed then they eat. It's getting so frustrating because I'm filling up the feeder just to find the rest if it mixed in with the pine shavings. I really just feel like getting rid of them... Ugh IDK???? Help... Please...

Yes, this is a hard challenge. Mine did it too. Consider placing it up on something so it's elevated.

Don't get rid of them! This is just a bump in the road of keeping chickens.

Oh heavens! Don't get rid of your flock after all the work you've done!! Like @MountainPeeps said it's just another 'bump in the road' of chicken keeping. Have you thought of using a PVC pipe feeder for them? They can't waste their feed using them.

Yes, this is a hard challenge. Mine did it too. Consider placing it up on something so it's elevated.

Don't get rid of them! This is just a bump in the road of keeping chickens.

Thanks for tha advice and word of encouragement, it's so nice to just have a place where I can talk chicken without people thinking I'm crazy, and or weird which my family and friends think I am.

I have been mulling over the idea of making one of these PVC feeders for quite awhile now . So many people on BYC either suggest them or say they already use them that I can no longer, with a clear conscious anyway, give any reasons as to why I have not made one yet. Soooo...off to Home Depot I go....
Thanks for giving me that final kick in the pants I apparently needed to get off my butt and start conquering my feeding woes. See you at the hardware store!!!

Thanks for tha advice and word of encouragement, it's so nice to just have a place where I can talk chicken without people thinking I'm crazy, and or weird which my family and friends think I am.
All the guys at my local Ace Hardware...when they see me coming in they all chime in "here comes the Chicken Lady!!" ... how embarassing!!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom