Fryers, broilers, roasters, I'M CONFUSED!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by backintime, Jun 4, 2010.

1. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Is there some sort of time-table for when a Cornish X bird goes from fryer to broiler to roaster (week by week)? Is there much difference in meat quality and tenderness between these stages, or is it more an issue of the size of the finished bird?

2. uhuh555

uhuh555 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2009
    Delton
    We usually consider live weight: 2.5 to 3 pounds = cornish game; 4 to 8 pounds = fryer; 9+ pounds = roaster or broiler. Others may have different weight ranges--you just pick the one you like--it doesn't matter they taste great any ol' way their cooked reguardless of size.

3. petrelline

petrelline Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Los Gatos, CA
    Here's a doc about the traditional meanings of the categories in heritage chicken: http://www.albc-usa.org/documents/cookingwheritagechicken.pdf

The
    interesting part:
    There are 4 traditional chicken meat classes: broiler, fryer, roaster and fowl. The traditional broiler age
    range was from 7 to 12 weeks, and carcass weight from 1 to 2 1/2 lbs. (Squab broilers would be youngest and
    smallest of these, typically Leghorn cockerels about 3/4 to 1 pound dressed.) The next age and weight group
    was called the fryer. Traditional fryer age range was from 14 to 20 weeks, and carcass weight from 2 1/2 to 4
    lbs. Traditional roaster age range was from 5 to 12 months, and carcass weight from 4 to 8 pounds. Most
    roasters were butchered between 6 and 9 months. Hens and roosters 12 months and older were called “fowl” or
    “stewing fowl” signifying that slow moist cooking methods were required.

Modern cornish X hybrids obviously grow a lot faster than heritage chickens so the timetables are different, but the weights are roughly still the same for the categories.​

4. backintime

backintime Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    Northern Wisconsin
    Thanks for the info. Do the Cornish X ever get tough and stringy, assuming they're killed at 10 weeks or less?

5. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Modern cornish X hybrids obviously grow a lot faster than heritage chickens so the timetables are different, but the weights are roughly still the same for the categories.

Thanks for that info pettreline . My family only called them fryers , roasters , and stewing chickens . I always assumed roasters and broilers were the same thing .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by