Fsh food pellets anyone?

frenchblackcopper

Crowing
12 Years
Jul 14, 2009
East central Illinois
Was at the farm store last nite stocking up on dog food for the coming snowstorm and seen in the animal feed aisle a bag of fish food for those that has koi fish or anyone that has an outdoor fish pond. It was a 40 pound bag and when I looked at the ingredient analysis label,,,36,,count'em,,,,,36% crude protein!!!! And the bag only costs $12.49,,,?????????? Either a MAJOR Mistake on the pricing or this is a small victory in high protein supplementation,,,higher levels and still cheaper than bagged cat food with only 22-28% protein.

Most all ingredients was fish by- products with trace minerals rivaling fish meal.If a stockboy wasn't closeby I would have ripped a ingredient label off and put it here. Maybe since the price of gas has dropped so much,everything else will too?

Last edited:
I purchased a bag at tractor supply a couple years ago , here were my results
hide.gif

My peas would not eat it, my chickens would not eat it, my guineas would not eat it, my ducks would not eat it, my geese would not eat it, the dogs would not eat it, the cats would not eat it and none of the fish in my ponds would eat it, i put it in my mulch pile and everything grew nice and green in it
wink.png

How did your special mixture worked out for you last year?

Since I have diving ducks like smew and hooded mergansers I need to make sure they are getting extra protein since in the wild they would be catching fish and such so I was told to get the exact food that you posted a link to Zaz. My ducks ate it and my peafowl eventually learned to like it as well.

I think the kind Zaz got isn't what we got from TSC. They had that one with the catfish on the bag next to what we get, but I think we always get one in a brown sack for the pond fish. Our fish love it, the raccoons are always trying to break into the fish feeder to eat the fish food, and the peas liked it but I think they seem to like the cat food better. I will have to get a little bit of the fish food again and test to see if they like it more than the cat food.

I don't think I have seen some for koi though. We do have a local plant nursery that also sells koi and builds koi ponds so they might have koi specific feed that I could check out.

Duck breeders that have mergansers or other fish eating ducks might be able to also give you good ideas of brands that the birds like. @Bluecreekfarms might have a brand he likes. Oops he posted while I was typing!!! Haha well I knew he would have something to say.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Since I have diving ducks like smew and hooded mergansers I need to make sure they are getting extra protein since in the wild they would be catching fish and such so I was told to get the exact food that you posted a link to Zaz. My ducks ate it and my peafowl eventually learned to like it as well.
idunno.gif
My animals are stuck up i guess, mabe if they were in a pen they would have ate it but given a choice none of them wanted it not even the fish
hide.gif

AugeredIN, When I go back I will make mental notes and possibly steal,or write down whats on the guaranteed analysis tag. Wife wanted to hurry and get home before Goldrush was on,so it was grab and go.Zaz,,new improved version of feed did very well,when the power stayed on while incubating. Had a strom once that took down a power pole and lost juice for 8 hours,,45 days later in mid July,lost power a second time but wasn't home so don't know how long it was out,drunk driver clipped a main power pole and it snapped off at ground level and I know we had to be out for 5 hours on that one. My Humidaire will easily hold 400 eggs and both times it was almost completely full,with the exception of the second time,I had just moved about 60 eggs to my homemade hatcher.Most of these still hatched out but it ruined two big groups of eggs in the prime of breeding season here.

I may try some of this out. If it smells offensive and the peas avoid it I may take to my feedman and have him add CLE to the pellets. This stuff is basically soy oil that has added trace minerals and it's also over 30% protein,,and it smells great,it can't hurt them.I always add the CLE anyways about January when it gets so cold here.Maybe our ducks will eat it plain if the peas do not?

Last edited:
You can take a photo of the tag with your phone if you have a camera phone.

I will have to figure out the name of fish feed we get for our pond fish that I also used to give the peas. I thought we had a bag in the garage but we don't so it might be a while until I figure out.

I purchased a bag at tractor supply a couple years ago , here were my results
hide.gif

My peas would not eat it, my chickens would not eat it, my guineas would not eat it, my ducks would not eat it, my geese would not eat it, the dogs would not eat it, the cats would not eat it and none of the fish in my ponds would eat it, i put it in my mulch pile and everything grew nice and green in it
wink.png

How did your special mixture worked out for you last year?
That was also my experience, my coons wouldn't even eat it, I didn't think to put in in the compost.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom