Full crops in chicks - add grit?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kimmybow, Mar 21, 2012.

1. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    I know that chicks don't need grit, but my 4 week old chicks have very full crops on a diet of only medicated chick feed. It won't hurt them if i give them some grit, will it? They ate it up very quickly. Don't remember if my previous chicks had full crops at this age...

2. mammat

mammat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    columbus ohio
    My chicks always had full crops...they eat constantly. Chick grit wont hurt just don't let them eat a whole bowl full:)

3. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Thanks! I think it was actually medium grit, but I guess if it were a problem, they wouldn't eat it. :)

4. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Course grit helps them grind up the food during the digestive process. Very fine ground oyster shell grit gives them an extra source of protein which is good for their egg shells and feathers.

5. fiddlebanshee

fiddlebanshee Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Frederick, MD
    Quote: I disagree with this. Oyster shell is fed for calcium, not protein and will hurt the growing chicks organs if they get it at a young age. Oyster shell should only be given to laying hens at or nearing POL and beyond.

I fed my chicks chick grit which is finer than regular grit from week 1, I also fed them treats, greens, mealworms etc regularly from that age. If you only feed chick starter you don't need the grit, I think i read somewhere that grit was incorporated already in the chick crumbles.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Doesn't hurt to feed grit. In fact, I've always been of the opinion that getting their little gizzards active at a young age is benneficial........Pop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by