Full sized roo with Banty hens?

Julie dingman evans

In the Brooder
May 26, 2020
We would like a rooster and we have a bantam flock... I know that bantam roosters seldom protect the flock and live to tell the tail. So has anyone ever had a full sized rooster in with hens? Would the babies be medium sized? Would this be safe for the hens? What are the pros and cons? Thank you for your imput! 😊

LaFleche

Meadow Devil
9 Years
Sep 22, 2012
Germany
We would like a rooster and we have a bantam flock... I know that bantam roosters seldom protect the flock and live to tell the tail. So has anyone ever had a full sized rooster in with hens? Would the babies be medium sized? Would this be safe for the hens? What are the pros and cons? Thank you for your imput! 😊
The bantam roosters I came to know were very protective of their flock.

The other way round, which would be a bantam rooster for normal sized hens is what a lot of people practice successfully. The offspring will be medium sized.

It depends on the roosters abilities and cautions when breeding, but I would not consider a full sized rooster as bantam hens can sustain severe injuries because of his weight pressing down on them.

JedJackson

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Jul 6, 2016
NW Washington state
I think a bantam rooster is best. They will protect your flock just as well. Something like an Old English game bantam rooster would be ideal, but there are lots of options.

Top Bottom