Fun Activites For Ducklings? Need Some Advice

TheWalkingDucks

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 5, 2013
Michigan
My four ducklings turned 3 weeks old on Tuesday. As of right now they are still in my bedroom. They have a box with their heat lamp which I keep them in at night and during the day I have them in a small kiddy pool. They are getting so big and are starting to get their feathers now. The problem is they are super clingy and want attention from me non-stop. I love that they're so friendly with me but I don't know what to do to keep them busy when I'm not with them. They have started to get out of both of their brooders and run around my bedroom getting into things!
wee.gif

Are there any activities to drain some of their crazy energy? Or toys they can play with? They get short supervised swims a few times a week, and I clicker train them which they love!! I have given them a stuffed animal which they love to pull around and snuggle with, a jingly cat ball which they love pushing around and their favorite by far is when I give them crumpled pieces of paper or tissue. They carry them around and chase each other for them, it is the cutest thing!!
love.gif
lau.gif
But they still seem very bored. :/ If I'm in my room and I'm not paying attention to them they will hop their pool and come waddling over to me, tugging at my pants legs for attention. Did I accidently make them too clingy? They are very outgoing, mischevious and love people. I want them to be very comfortable and eager to be around people, but worry they may getting too dependent for their own good.

The weather is finally getting warm here, it's supposed to be in the 60-70 degree range this weekend and next week. Are they old enough to play outside during the day for short periods of time now? We have a small fence where they could safely play while we supervise them and when they're done bring them back inside. We are actually probably going to construct a small are for them to stay in our garage now, with more room and still their heat lamp until they are old enough to be moved outside permenantly.

Sorry about all the questions, I'm a worrisome, first time duck mom.
roll.png
Here is a pic of them going for their first swim at a week and a half old. Sorry, I don't have any recent pics of them on this computer, but they are twice this size now.

I started taking my ducks into their outside pen for a few hours a day when they were about 2 weeks old..but i live in florida. I'd say yes if it's 60 or 70 out and you have a pen outside they would LOVE to play in the yard..in fact it would be great for them..they'll forage and eat grass and bugs and play in the grass. I usually put a pan of water out with them, and food of course and they splash and run around. Thats fun for them..it's their time..and now they're about 5 weeks and they see me and know that i'll put them out and peep and run to the door of their inside pen and then follow me out to their outside pen...Mine would rather be out in the yard than any toy i've given them.

They are so cute! definitely take them outside when the weather allows, they need to forage, touch outside and be ducks. They love mud so you could dig a teeny hole, pour a bit of water so they can truffle their beaks in it.

Those temps sound wonderful! my 6wk olds were outside yesterday we were 40F and then it went from rain to snow lol Of coarse mine are with 10 other ducks so that helps, and yes one is their mother but she's not to attentive anymore.

Make sure you watch them though, there fast little buggers and get into all sorts of trouble.. plus predators get drawn out when something appealing shows up.

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the help guys.
smile.png
I'll definitely take them out this weekend, it's supposed to be really warm and sunny and they will be able to forage and be free to act like ducks. I can't wait to watch them explore and take tons of pictures and videos!! And I'm definitely going to dig a little hole and make them a mud pit to rummage in. And no worries, they will be watched extremely closely the whole time they're outside.
wink.png

They'll love being outside! As for toys, I just get toys from the bird section at pet stores. My duck's favorite toy is a bright colored abacus with different shaped beads that she pushes around. The only thing more fun than playing with that (and sometimes trying to mate with it) is laying in front of her mirrors and staring at her reflection for hours on end.
hu.gif

They'll love being outside! As for toys, I just get toys from the bird section at pet stores. My duck's favorite toy is a bright colored abacus with different shaped beads that she pushes around. The only thing more fun than playing with that (and sometimes trying to mate with it) is laying in front of her mirrors and staring at her reflection for hours on end.
hu.gif
Ooooh I'll get them a few bird toys to, I think they'd really like that. We have tons of really cool looking bird toys at our Big Lots. Hahahaha you're ducky sounds conceited. Just kidding lol.
wink.png
She's never broken a mirror? I though about getting them one that's made for birds but I always worried that they might peck at it and break it and then hurt themselves.
hmm.png

Ooooh I'll get them a few bird toys to, I think they'd really like that. We have tons of really cool looking bird toys at our Big Lots. Hahahaha you're ducky sounds conceited. Just kidding lol.
wink.png
She's never broken a mirror? I though about getting them one that's made for birds but I always worried that they might peck at it and break it and then hurt themselves.
hmm.png
Oh, she's definitely conceited. She thinks she's beautiful!
lol.png
She hasn't broken a mirror, although I've only given her decently thick ones. She's also a call duck, so she's little and not very strong. I'm sure you could find sturdy enough mirrors, though. It seems like all birds like mirrors.

Also, I'm not sure whose idea it originally was, but people on here have posted a really great way to make treats into a toy for your ducks. Take a container of whatever size you choose, and fill it partway with water. Maybe about a quarter full, or even less. Add some veggies to the water, like peas or lettuce or tomatoes. Freeze that, and then take it out and repeat. So, on top of the ice with the veggies in it, you'll add some more water and more veggies. Freeze that again, and keep doing it until the container is full of veggies frozen in ice. Then, throw the block of ice into your ducks' pool or pond, and let them have fun picking the veggies out as it slowly thaws. I actually haven't tried it yet, but I'm guessing it will be a big hit!

That sounds like a fantastic idea!! I've done this with my dogs in the summer, but I think my ducks will enjoy it even more than my dogs do. I must try it this weekend. It will definitely keep them busy for sure!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom