Fun for hens

ClemsonAg

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 24, 2014
Does anyone. Have suggestions on some things it can add to my coop's yard that will be fun for hens. I saw where someone made a swing for theirs and it looked pretty humorous. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Cabbage on a rope is good (I also give them meat too, they love it. But some people don't like that so it's up to you). I used a baby formula can and cut a small hole in the lid and filled it with cracked corn. So they knock it around to get the corn out. I also have a compost pile in the run that they dig through. Also built a couple of boxes out of 2x6's or 8's and put dirt and planted clover, oats, and alfalfa in them and cover them with wire mesh so they can only eat what grows up through the wire. Not sure if any of that's what you meant but that's what I can think of right now.

Thanks for the reply. Just looking to keep them busy and entertained. Lord knows they entertain us.

Also during warm weather I pile the grass clippings in the run. It's not treated with anything so they can eat it and it attracts bugs that they will dig for most of the day. Boards or rocks left in there that you can flip for them to attack bugs and worms is good too. They love to scratch and peck all the time, so anything that gives them something to scratch through will keep them busy.

Thanks once again. I'll try some of those things. Do you happen to know much about Easter eggers. I'm trying to find out if they are laying. Just got them a week and a half ago. The owner told me they thought they were about a year old, but since they had about 300 free range chickens they weren't positive if they had been laying. I'm just curious and looking for a way to check. I asked this on a couple threads and had no response. Here's a picture of them.

I have no experience with them in particular but I'd say they look mature enough to be laying. Since you just got them not long ago they may take some time to get used to the new home before they lay again. They are fine looking birds. I'm sure at some point someone that has them will jump in here and say for sure.

Chickens lives are pretty much scratching and laying but another thing my chooks love it little bars or planks they can jump or flap onto to perch.

Compost, grass clippings and leaved etc. are filled with bugs there for the chickens will scratch there for hours.

Every now and then I also dig a few holes and let the chicken attack and eat bugs especially worms.

Also for those chooks that aren't laying... Their big chest in front is where their food is and mature chickens (yours look pretty mature) are usually in a laying mood after their chest has had a good rub

Back
Top Bottom