fun q

wynedot55

Songster
12 Years
Mar 28, 2007
how did everyone come /decide to get chickens.ill start it off.i was on the puter 1 cold dec day.an it hitt me like a bolt.why dont i serch for hatcheries.so i did that an boom i wanted chickens.so i spent 3 months checking out hatcheries.then in march i got chicks from TSC.an boom i had chicks.then built a 12 by 12 henhouse.got up to 30 hens in 2yrs.converted a barn into a big henhouse.vermitts hitt an wiped me out.so buried welded wire 2ft deep nailed to 2 by 4s with nails sticking out undergfround so far.so im back to stasrting over.during that time i lost 4 peacocks.but i never gave up.

My family had them on the farm as long as I can remember during my childhood...now that I am through college, through law, retired, hubby retired from the Army and we can have them...we got them.
big_smile.png

Actually never thought I would ever have many pets. Not a lot of them growing up but my great grandfather had chickens, I can remeber when we would go there int he summer we would all try to get our grandparents to let us take a biddy home. So, now that I am grown and have a lot of free time, my S/O and I have decided that we can handle it. we had to get rid of the stress
ep.gif
to get stressful FUN.
jumpy.gif
D.gif

after kids kinda grew up
big_smile.png
, we bought 5 acres and built a bigger house,
lol.png

Not so big really, we had a very small house in town.

We want to start taking care of ourselves as much as we can and food of course is a big part of that! Got the chicks to give us eggs, and in the case of nasty roos, meat!

like yall to ive always been round an had chickens underfoot.an having a farm makes the chicken addiction worse.

My boss decided to raise some hens for eggs and got a bunch from the feed store. I was taking care of them, thought they were cute. But didn't want any of my own.
Then he got some fancies from an auction and one of the silkies got sick/injured. In doing online research to try and help her, I ran across this group, and was also one-on-one with a chicken for the first time. (not just a batch of 50)

So now, a couple months later, I have my own little flock going!

I grew up on a large beef cattle farm, but we also raised chickens and turkeys. I loved it as a child. My husband also grew up on a farm and had chicks, so when we got married and moved to our house we decided to turn our shed into a coop and get some chicks. It was my husbands idea at first, now I think he regrets it!! I'm addicted!!!

Growing up in Hawaii, we always had pets (dogs, cats, rabbits) and the random duck, peacock, or turtle that would wander up from the stream behind our house. We never had chickens since my mom was deathly afraid of them.
I later lived in Paraguay where all of my neighbors had yard chickens. They swore they were RIR's but they laid blue or pink eggs. I got used to the crowing and the free food so I decided that I'd get some chickens when I got back home. Well, I've bought my first house and now I can do it. The neighborhood is closely packed with single wall houses but nobody minds the chickens as many folks just have roo's for cockfighting. My only problem will be keeping the mongoose from eating my egg layers.

A stray roo came into our yard. He ended up being really mean, but first we borrowed a companion for him, then bought some chicks, and it has snowballed from there. My family had chickens one time when I was growing up, and my husband's mother has had chickens for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom