Fun with our guineas

Fcarter

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2017
The guineas are finally out on a limited basis. First thing out of their pen they have to inspect the top of the coop. Then they come down to patrol the perimeter of the fence. We get so much enjoyment sitting out with them while they explore. They don't go far at all right now. An airplane flew over and all of them immediately stopped moving and stared up. Now I understand why a group of guineas is called a confusion. When it's time to put them in their coop they march right in.

Attachments

• 20210912_171913.jpg
    20210912_171913.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20210912_173027.jpg
    20210912_173027.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
The guineas are finally out on a limited basis. First thing out of their pen they have to inspect the top of the coop. Then they come down to patrol the perimeter of the fence. We get so much enjoyment sitting out with them while they explore. They don't go far at all right now. An airplane flew over and all of them immediately stopped moving and stared up. Now I understand why a group of guineas is called a confusion. When it's time to put them in their coop they march right in.
Looks like a lovely royal purple confusion! My confusion alerted me to raptors yesterday, but I only saw black vultures, which hang around my place often. The guineas usually ignore the vultures flying overhead so I didn’t see what the fuss was about. A few minutes later though, a lively red tailed hawk flew close overhead. We’ve lost several birds to red tails, so the guineas’ concerns were well justified! Fortunately, the vultures seemed to chase the hawk away. Red tails are mostly chased away by our crows or vultures. I’m amazed though that the guineas can distinguish between vultures and hawks flying overhead.

Thanks. I have a question which may sound crazy. I let my guineas out every afternoon increasing the time they're out by an hour. They are 3 months old. When they are out they don't wander more than 10 ft from me. They don't seem interested in exploring . Is this normal? They seem happy eating bugs and grass. Will they expand their area as they get older?

Thanks. I have a question which may sound crazy. I let my guineas out every afternoon increasing the time they're out by an hour. They are 3 months old. When they are out they don't wander more than 10 ft from me. They don't seem interested in exploring . Is this normal? They seem happy eating bugs and grass. Will they expand their area as they get older?
This is normal. Their range will increase as they age.

Back
Top Bottom