Fungus/Moldy Growths Inside Eggs?

cochins1088

Crowing
9 Years
Jul 17, 2012
Southern Minnesota
I got my first goose egg 1 month ago. I found it wet and near the water dish, but I rinsed it off, dried it, and put it in the incubator. It was the only egg in the incubator at that time. A week later I added a bunch of chicken eggs as well as 5 more Sebastopol goose eggs. At day 9, I realized that the embryo wasn't developing and that there was something wrong. I opened up the egg to find it rotting. The contents were liquid, it smelled horribly, and there was a moldy/fungus like growth inside the air cell and covering the inner membrane where the egg contents were.

I figured that it was because of where I found the egg (covered in wet food and hay by the watering dish) but now my worries are back. I candled my eggs like I do every night, and I noticed that one of my chicken embryos had died. Normally I would leave it in for a few more days, but this egg was suspicious.

I opened it up and I was met with bubbles. Lots of fowl smelling bubbles. I've never seen anything like it before. I dumped the contents and I looked at the embryo. It must have died sometime this morning. I looked into the shell and it had those same moldly/fungus like growths and this egg was on the opposite side of the incubator! I really hope it's not spreading. I can't afford to lose those goose eggs...
he.gif

Any advice?

Hey I'm in. Had 2 at the end of last 'bator hatch. Looked great, should have been the first to hatch. Finally opened them, fully formed chicks, kinda shrink wrapped, with a grey/black mold on the membrane covering the chick.

Nothing on shell though??
hu.gif
Just thought it was weird. Through it away. Couple days later started hearing about this sort of thing, and wishing I had taken a picture or two. Yick!

Sorry. . .
sad.png

Just for future reference in case this thread picks up more interest, the incubator was forced air (fan). Wondering if the temp should have been increased. 1 egg each from 2 different species hen. Weather temps balmy/hot/then cold off and on for several days with intermittent rains. Incubator indoors, outside bathroom, central HVAC. ???
Also, it was only the 3rd time to use the 'bator. Cleaned before hand.

Back
Top Bottom