Fungus

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Shawn Wilder, Oct 17, 2008.

1. Shawn Wilder

Shawn Wilder New Egg

Oct 4, 2008
    I have five Buff Orpingtons, that are 3 1/2 months old. Growing quickly, getting big, healthy. We are raising them organically, without antibiotics, organic feed, etc. I let them free range for most of the day without difficulty. The other day I saw them converged on something that was holding their interest for a while, not like bugs that they like to chase. As I approached, I observed them eating a large "toadstool" type of fungus. I shooed them away and destroyed the fungus. That was 5 days ago. They are still alive, and I don't think they had any hallucinations that day. Do chickens know which fungus they can eat, which ones will harm them?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hallucinations????? Hahaha.
    I don't think it is harmful. I don't think they will eat anything nasty that is growing. Man-made?-that would be dangerous.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So that's why my rooster was staring at the wall and listening to Jimi Hendrix the other day! [​IMG]
    Mine have nibbled at mushrooms. Most they pass up. All still alive and well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by