funky egg song?

Cluckin'Crazy4them

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 28, 2011
NW Oregon
I just listened to my Ameraucana's egg song. For about AN HOUR she sang the most off key song I have ever heard. To be descriptive it sounded like someone stepping on an oversized, overused whoopy cushion crossed with an old dogs howl
th.gif

I looked her over to make sure nothing was wrong and she is in fine condition. She has been laying for 4 months so maybe she just isn't a great singer???
idunno.gif

Do any of your chickens have an odder than odd egg song? What's your imitation of it?

Last edited:
all mine have the same egg song, some just have deeper voices than others. I'd describe it as "bock bock bock bock BAKAW!" mine even sing in unison sometimes
lol.png

edited to add: sometimes mine do make "honking" sounds

Last edited:
My EE makes a funny honking noise, but she's been doing it since around October, and ONE of the EEs just started laying now. No clue.
idunno.gif

ETA she also does it all day long....

Last edited:
My silkie has an egg song that is almost musical--I mean she is squawking, but it has a little rhythm to it. Its kinda like

bock bock BAGAW bock!

bock bock BAGAW bock!

The same rhythm, same order, every time.

Ahh, you all make me envious! Although as long as she is willing to lay me an egg and offer a song (however farty/howly it sounds) I will be gracious and appreciate it
love.gif

She is the only hen that sings. Do you think since they typically sing the same song that my three young pullets will learn this song when they start laying? Oh, what would the neighbors think?
lau.gif

I am going to attempt to get a video of it tomorrow. It really is just so hilariously horrific!

We call our troop the "chicken opera" and they start the warm up at 6:00. It goes "Let us OUT of the COOP!" (duck duck BAGAW! duck duck BAGAW!)
It is followed an hour later by the BR standing at the top of the ramp with a typical "duck, duck BAGAW!!!" over and over and over followed by her friend standing at the run door, repeating the song, just in case we hadn't heard.
The neighbors haven't complained, but I hope I have enough eggs to offer a peace offering soon, anyway.

One of mine sounded like a duck when she would lay. Sometimes I almost expected to find a duck egg instead of a chicken egg in the nesting box!
big_smile.png

I can't imitate mine, but at first I thought they were dying! lol!! they sound like they are being tortured! hahahaha

Back
Top Bottom